Forum .LRN Q&A: Improving .LRN project

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread and cut Rocael's post:

Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on 09 Jun 2006 01:35 PM
We can vote, but better if we actually do something.
Besides voting, is about doing, and resources investment on those things we plan to do (volunteering will not take us too far).

I would like to see what the members of .LRN community want to contribute or think that is a must to make this project successful.

Carl & company are working on the next release, what about future releases?
Who's gonna work on marketing material?
And what about making dotlrn.org open to users? (I can commit some work on this)
Who's looking at the many-many packages of .LRN?
And putting resources to interact with actual and possible users?
And what about Quality Assurance of .LRN suite? (i.e. automated testing)
Improvements for .LRN usability?

Anyone with priorities?

There are core task that will improve a lot .LRN as a whole project, and there might be neat new packages / functionalities that will sink among an unmaintained project, decide yourself in what you want to invest!

Collapse
2: Re: Improving .LRN (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
The topic thread should be improving .LRN, not .LRN web site.
Collapse
3: Re: Improving .LRN (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
We (Minnesota State Colleges & University System) intend to incorporate Don Baccus's portal package (new portal or whatever it's called) into OpenACS.

We also plan to incorporate the portal mashup demonstrated by Solution Grove (http://www.solutiongrove.com/mashup/portal) into .LRN.

Collapse
4: Re: Re: Improving .LRN (response to 3)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Can you be a bit more specific? I did a bit more work on it about six weeks ago (maybe eight), for instance once a portal'd page is viewed future views no longer query the database (results are cached), unlike the .LRN new-portal which always hits the database a couple of times per portlet on a portal page.

Also I'd like to have input into whatever your plans are for future work with it.

Collapse
5: Re: Re: Re: Improving .LRN (response to 4)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Don, the aim is to have the same portal package for OpenACS and .LRN. As you know we have this had a goal for a long time for both projects. I hope we can finally make this into a reality.

Not only will you have "input" I am hoping that you will guide the work.

Collapse
6: Re: Improving .LRN project (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Galileo & E-LANE can work on: Quality Assurance of .LRN suite. (i.e. automated testing).

Actually, E-LANE through the INT partner has already done many test cases (about 165 tclwebtests). Some stress / scalability tests will come as well.

Galileo also wants to have the whole system with test cases (api and web, whatever is best in each case), we can commit to work on this during July 06.

This should increase the quality of the applications in the technical sense, and make it easier for further releases. Anyone else working on testcases? Anyone willing to review / use the tests?

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Roc,

Solution Grove is very interested in testing and we are willing to help. most of our focus in on Selenium testing. Hamilton has written quite a bit of documentation and we'll make sure its all up to date on openacs.org next week.

Collapse
Hi Al,

It would be great if you and Don could record your plans in the xowiki page for portals so people can find it after this thread is stale.

Thanks

Collapse
9: Re: Re: Improving .LRN (response to 3)
Posted by Matthew Coupe on
Hi Alfred,

How do you intend to incorporate the portal mashup demo? I have been having a look at it for our implementation and have managed to incorporate the shade effects into the portals to some degree, however this caused a strange error with custom portal administration. I was using a new theme I added through new-portal and the ajaxhelper api.

The effects look nice but I haven't been able to pass the neccessary variables to remember the portal state. (eg minimized of maximized)

Matthew

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Matthew,

We are close to signing a contract (a matter of days) with an OpenACS company for this work. As soon as we do, we will begin using the Wiki for the approach.

Al

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Rocael,

You said "Galileo & E-LANE can work on: Quality Assurance of .LRN suite. (i.e. automated testing).

Actually, E-LANE through the INT partner has already done many test cases (about 165 tclwebtests). Some stress / scalability tests will come as well.

Galileo also wants to have the whole system with test cases (api and web, whatever is best in each case), we can commit to work on this during July 06.

This should increase the quality of the applications in the technical sense, and make it easier for further releases. Anyone else working on testcases? Anyone willing to review / use the tests? "

Why did you choose to use tclwebtest? Selenium IDE is much easier to write tests, users can even record tests. Right now Tclwebtest is integrated more with the automatd testing package, that is for sure.

Can you give some advice how to go about writing tests with Tclwebtest and your experience with it?

Collapse
Posted by Bernd Simon on
On a very high level: at WUW we did once an empirical study, which prooved that the most important influence factors on the effectiveness of IT-supported learning envirnmentsare CONTENT and USABILITY.

While improving usability is a straight forward task that just needs to be done at one point of time when a package has reached stability, improving the creation, management and delivery of learning content is still quite a research-centered activity.

Everything that eases the (collaborative) creation of content, for example, by taking advantage of Web 2.0 technology such as AJAX, would make DotLRN a killer app. At the same time the organisation of content should be based on sound instructional methods, where templates for different styles of teaching (e.g. disance learning, blended learning, compliance management) do exist.

Collapse
Thanks for the comment Bernd,

Very accurate comment: Usability & Content, both combined, will make the difference.
I really agree with this: "organisation of content should be based on sound instructional methods"

Although, Usability should be planned and done from the very first moment, I really do not believe is something .LRN can improve later, at least in the last few years, many new applications, little usability improvements. Sometimes seems like a technical-feature-focused-tool.

I guess the portal-portlet-system concept is just plain wrong for the student-teacher-goals.

Collapse
Re: Usability and Ajax. – Roc says:

Although, Usability should be planned and done from the very first moment, I really do not believe is something .LRN can improve later, at least in the last few years, many new applications, little usability improvements. Sometimes seems like a technical-feature-focused-tool.

But I agree more with Bernd:

…taking advantage of Web 2.0 technology such as AJAX, would make DotLRN a killer app.

We (SG) are having a great deal of success taking the new AJAX technology and putting it on top of our super feature rich tool kit and improving usability. Remember that our "competitors" Moodle, Saki, Blackboard etc. are all built pre-AJAX. No one has designed from the first moments with the usability tools that AJAX provides. We have a real opportunity to be one of the first to market in the LMS world with AJAX.

For dotLRN to be able to take advantage of AJAX, decisions will have to be made. How is the process of writing down a clear, quick, open, and fair governance and decision making processes going?

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Caroline says:

"We have a real opportunity to be one of the first to market in the LMS world with AJAX.

For dotLRN to be able to take advantage of AJAX, decisions will have to be made. How is the process of writing down a clear, quick, open, and fair governance and decision making processes going?"

I fully agree that there is an opportunity here. What decisions need to be made? Can we pose them here publically in the forums? I will support whatever direction the community wants to take.

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
I don't think too many decisions have to be made. It is more of a resources issue. Hamilton seems to be the only developer in this community that is actively exploring AJAX in OpenACS apps. He has committed a useful ajax package that contains a few open source ajax libraries. Any package that wants to use ajax just needs to install the ajax package, and add a link in their template to point to the ajax library they want.

Where decisions need to be made is whether ad_form should be updated to use ajax, and RTE to use ajax for auto-saves. In which case, we'll need to consider linking the ajax package into the templates package.

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Nick says: "I don't think too many decisions have to be made. It is more of a resources issue. Hamilton seems to be the only developer in this community that is actively exploring AJAX in OpenACS apps. He has committed a useful ajax package that contains a few open source ajax libraries. Any package that wants to use ajax just needs to install the ajax package, and add a link in their template to point to the ajax library they want.

Where decisions need to be made is whether ad_form should be updated to use ajax, and RTE to use ajax for auto-saves. In which case, we'll need to consider linking the ajax package into the templates package."

If that's the case, then this is not a .LRN governance issue? Correct? The ad_form and RTE decision needs to follow OpenACS governance?

As for resources, it would be helpful to know precisely what resources are required to enact these decisions. We can then try to pony up resources individually or through mechanisms such as the .LRN Consortium.

I can only speak for myself. I believe incorporation of AJAX should be a priority. I support it and will try to persuade others to do the same.

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
What I meant to say was that the decision to go ahead with implementing web 2.0 features should be an easy decision. Thumbs up for ajax integration. It is now a matter of how to proceed with this. I apologise if I came off as criticising the .LRN consortium decision-making process. I wasn't, in fact I applaud the direction the consortium is moving in.

I have just completed a focus group with physiology students. They don't really want to migrate to doing their lab reports online. They would prefer to continue using Word and Excel. Perhaps by using ajax stuff I could win them over. It is a huge paradigmn shift for them, in terms of abandoning their trusted tools and migrating to web-based tools. And yes there are a lot of students that "don't get the whole internet thing".

Collapse
Dave,

we choosed tclwebtest since was the default and at that time I haven't heard about selenium. Anyway, maybe we should think if it is better to maintain just one tool for webtests as the official, or is ok to have multiple...

Collapse
IMHO: Moving to AJAX will be good, if we have a clear understanding and a good design of what has to be improved.
If not, this will be a new cycle of a bunch of new .LRN development with neat ideas and not a sustainable project.

Quality Assurance and Community Growth are still open issues, but we tend to focus only on technology, is easy to get distracted by shinning technology (moodle founder says!)

Be sure that any of these:
-QA
-AJAX
-Community growth
has NOTHING to do with OpenACS governance. Is about doing them.