Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to Request for Comment: dotLRN Technology Governance

Don: you're absolutely right about one thing: OpenACS representation. I thought I brought some of that along, but if that's not enough, I'm all for having you on the TAB to bring that influence.

Next, it is not my usual behavior to spill private email conversations in public, but I have to at least respond to your accusations.

• the initial proposal of the TAB that I made to Al included me as gatekeeper, plus one OpenForce engineer (Yon) and one Furfly engineer (you, in fact) in addition to participants from Berklee, MIT, and Heidelberg. After further consideration, I realized that this was unfair to other OpenACS contractors and chose to put you down as OpenACS representative rather than Furfly rep. On further thought, I realized that this would be perceived as too much OF power, so I changed my mind again and took Yon out of the equation, and then tried to focus solely on corporate users of dotLRN. Given Yon's quality of code and engineering insight and obvious dotLRN expertise, I felt this would be a short-term loss for dotLRN, but a long-term win given that it would allow others to get involved more quickly.
  • I had a strong technical reason for proposing that new-portal not be in the OpenACS CVS. I had a discussion with you about it, and yes it took 3 days, but you convinced me. Am I being blamed here for once disagreeing with you even though I ended up agreeing?

Don, the only reason I can imagine you making these statements is that you're calling my motivations into question. I thought we were discussing a proposal, but now you're discussing my motivations. If you have questions about my motivations, let's start a different thread where you can comment on this all you wish and I will answer questions you have.

In the meantime, I propose that we make this discussion more productive by assuming that *you*, Don will be dotLRN gatekeeper. You're perfectly qualified enough to take on that role just like you are gatekeeper for OpenACS.

Let's discuss the value of the process. As Al said, we're trying to come up with by-laws independently of personalities. If you're pushing for more oversight because you're scared of the gatekeeper, your problem is not the process, your problem is the gatekeeper.