Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS polls module

Collapse
Posted by Gregor Obernosterer on
I hope not to bother you with this question. I was looking for the polls module, like the one used for the new site design https://openacs.org/poll/one-poll.tcl?poll_id=13

It is not coming with OpenACS 4.5 is there a place where it can be downloaded? Thanxs in advance.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Someone needs to write one :(
Collapse
Hi Don... https://openacs.org/4/porting-resources.html#dayinlife ... Install OpenACS 4, Pick an unported package and ask Don if anyone else is porting it. I will not ask 😊

As part of a customer project to migrate to OpenACS I will port the package - as it is something the customer would like to see as an additional module.

Collapse
Posted by Samir Joshi on
Hi Gregor,

My colleague Ashish is very close to finishing the port from 3.2.5 to 4.5  for Postgres. Are you using Postgres or Oracle ? If you could wait for a couple of days, I'll upload the package. Otherwise, I can send you the preliminary code we have.

By the way, the porting guidelines in the link are for ACS 4.x to OpenACS 4, whereas the poll package on this site, AFAIK is from 3.x version. So even if you are using Oracle, you can use Ashish' work and get it to run on Oracle.

Collapse
Hey Samir,

we are using PostgreSQL for our development. If there is any way how I can assist you till you post the module let me know.

Thanxs in advance.

Collapse
Posted by Samir Joshi on
Hi Gregor,

Let me send you by email what we have in interim - its pretty much rewrite of the 3.x poll module, except data model. These things are pending : Imposing permission system, statistics and certain sanity checks, I plan to take up those by end of the month.

Thanks !

Collapse
7: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Locke on
Has there been any progress on writing or porting a polls module for OACS4.x?

Thanks...

Collapse
8: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 7)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
We are interested as well :)
Collapse
9: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I am plannning on adding this functionality to the survey package.
Collapse
10: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Samir Joshi on

I had sent the incomplete work to Gregor. I will do a quick check with him, otherwise I will try to finish it in a couple of days.

Collapse
11: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
hey, we finished the customer specific CMS Module before christmas. This was so to say phase I - basic fulfillment. Next week we are starting with phase II - upgrades (eCommerce, Procurement, etc.). Part of it will be the polls module.

/Gregor

Collapse
12: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Locke on
Since I desperately needed a polling module for a client site, I quickly put one together.  You can download it here:

http://sdm.openacs.org/new-file-storage/one-file.tcl?file_id=468

It is a simple module for administering polls, collecting votes, and displaying results.  There is a 1 page document located in poll/www/doc/index.adp which describes all the features.

I anticipate this will eventually be replaced by Samir, Gregor, or Dave's work, but in the meantime, it should be useable.

PS. Postgres only at the current time. =(

Collapse
13: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Great! I am currently away from my day-to-day job and starting a Ph.D. thesis. But I will be back in the Vienna Office this week as we will have a project kick off next week. At present I can't tell you whether we will write a new polls module. To me it seems yours does what a user/polls-admin would expect. Thank you for contributing this work.

/Gregor

Collapse
14: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
I'm looking for a polls package.  Is anyone using the one referred to in this thread?  Any idea where I can find the code?

Thanks
Caroline

Collapse
15: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Jeff Palmer on
I know this conversation was started quite a while ago, but was there ever any resolution to this?  IOW, is there a useful polling module available for OpenACS 4.x?

thanks,
Jeff

Collapse
16: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Aristoi just implemented Polls for innonet.org (click under inquiring minds).

It works fine, and is very simple.

I think Deds wrote the original code some time ago for another client. We'll commit it to CVS soon.

Collapse
17: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Deds Castillo on
Robert Locke was the one who created it.  Straightforward port from the old 3.x code.  I'll be checking it in in the next day or so.
Collapse
18: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 1)
Posted by Deds Castillo on
I committed to HEAD the polls module mentioned in this thread.  The difference from the original is that I modifed one proc to remove dependency on acs-datetime.  This also includes the oracle port by Madhu S.
Collapse
19: Re: OpenACS polls module (response to 15)
Posted by Jeff Palmer on
thanks, I checked out the poll on innonet.org and that would work fine.