i just made an installation of aolserver 4.5 with dotlrn on Mac OS X. there was no need to edit include/ns.mak. Note, that the README of aolserver 4.5 recommends to configure with
where the tclsh is already from a "private" tclsh in the aolserver directory (i called the installation /usr/local/aolserver4.5/). After nsconfig.tcl, it picked the right directory without problems. aolserver seems clever enough.
i did not have any problems with tdom or xotcl, both worked without any problems out of the box. I did have some problems with the other modules like postgres, nscache etc. in two respects: firstly, the meaning of the variable INST seems to have changed. in earlier times, INST denoted the installation directory, now INST means the installation program. This is only noted, when the modules are built outside of the aolserver tree (i have three installations of aolserver on my notbook, 4.0.10, naviserver and 4.5.0). Secondly, there were a couple of problems builing the static libaries (.a) on mac os x (they are not needed anyhow) and with linking nspostgres (added -lnsdb -L/usr/local/pg807/lib/ -lpq) by hand.
otherwise, everything seems to be fine in my configuration based on tcl8.4.13, Mac OS X 10.4.7.