Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Making Categories subsite aware
- Client packages can pass in a package_id (subsite or a mounted application) that sets how Categories operates -- with a default to the main site subsite_id if a package doesn't want to use this capability.
- The add/edit UI enables setting site_wide_p as well as the context_id from a widget that includes the relevant subsite plus any installed applications at that subsite.
- The main index (/cadmin/index.tcl) lists the scope of category trees (site-wide, subsite, application -- and which subsites and applications).
- The available category trees that can be mapped by a client package are determined by these settings -- a package can see these trees:
- site-wide trees
- subsite trees where that package is mounted
- trees only for that package
- Trees set to site_wide_p = 't' can also have a context_id set to some package_id (either a subsite or an application), but the context_id is ignored by Categories; site_wide_p supercedes the context_id. This works out OK, but conceptually it's muddy; there isn't a clean, mutually-exclusive set of states for trees using this mechanism of (site_wide_p + context_id). I don't see any reason to try to re-do the whole schema, however; this is kind of a work-around, but it works, so that presumably is good enough, eh?
- The context bar links aren't entirely sensible. Since Categories is a singleton, when a user navigates there from an application mounted in a subsite, there is a link back to that application, but not to the subsite itself. Seems that there are several options for the context bar:
- Leave it as it is.
- Make it: Main Site >> Subsite Name >> Categories >> Package Name >> Category Management (etc)
- Make it: Main Site >> Categories >> Subsite Name >> Package Name >> Category Management (etc)
All other trees are now invisible to client packages.
There are a few funky things about this:
Anyway, this code appears to work correctly here, but it needs to be dropped into other uses of Categories, so please do so and post any problems. If it works/looks OK, then someone (OCT?) should let me know and I'll commit this.