Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Re: OACS 6 and beyond

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
I have been observing OACS from a far lately. I think dropping Oracle is a step back, however the benefits outweigh it. It will be easier to support a single db, given that OACS data model is not trivial. Its one of the few web frameworks that actually use the db features. Also on a technical standpoint, there is nothing in Oracle that can't be done in postgresql in the web development problem space.

Dropping Oracle support will hopefully be done in a good manner to bring in the community going forward. Hopefully we avoid removing any community member and move them together with OACS 6 and beyond. I guess its also a community issue as well as a technical issue, so I hope the community aspect will get equal attention if not greater in dropping the support of Oracle.

I think a branch or tag to which OACS db changes will not synch with Oracle and PostgreSQL is needed. A wiki page explaining the rational and more importantly how to upgrade from Oracle to PostgreSQL, people/organizations who have done the port, etc.. Maybe a section or cvs module that has the tools contributed by different people used in porting from Oracle to PostgreSQL.

Anyway just an opinion from a community member observing from a far.