Forum OpenACS Q&A: Importing and upgrading a site

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
when you upgrade a live site and there is data to get across that upgrade scripts don't take care of, how do you go about getting the data to the new site, in general?

for one, if there are many different data models with user data, is it possible to do it piecewise?

for example say I have packages foo, gep amd hi and there are users (with ids) joe(1), kyle(2) and larry(3) I look at the new site, and lo and behold, object ids 1,2,3 are all unavailable

one question I have, is: would it be possible to move the users across, move the data from foo at that time as well, but wait awhile and figure out gep and hi over a period of time and then finally move their data across?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Jim,

Maybe you should be a little more specific :)

In general looks like you have a migration, but also looks like you have some constraints that are in place in addition to a standard migration.

In general you need to create a mapping table for every id you migrate and then if you have to assign a new id after the migration, you need to then go into the mapping table and update every referece to the old id with the new id.

In addition you might have write a redirect to map old urls ot new urls if the ids were part of a url, and you need to preserve them.