Forum OpenACS Q&A: Upgrading openacs strategy

Collapse
Posted by Eric Wolfram on
I've just finished upgrading mytlc.com to 4.6.3 and I wanted to keep going. So I then upgraded postgres from 7.2 to 7.3. (major hint for those who dare undertake the same thing at a future date: If you're having strange trouble with LD_LIBRARY_PATH as root but not as nsadmin chmod 755 /usr/local/pgsql instead of 750 like the docs say) Anyway, I finally got things working with PG 7.3. I have it in a local cvs repository.

Aolserver 3.1+ad13 is serving it up, however, this Openacs Prerequisite Software Graph doesn't show that version at all. It does show that 3.3+ad13 would only take me to 5.1.x, so I guess that's the best I could hope for with aolserver3.1+ad13.

My question, should I upgrade to AOL4 now, get it to work on 4.6.3, and then attempt the upgrade to 5.2. Or should I upgrade to openacs 5.1.5 on aol3.1+ad13, then get AOL4 to work at that point, before going to openacs 5.2? Which path would be less likely to give me grey hair? 😊

Or I guess I could just upgrade to 5.2 and aol4 at the same time, right, but I'm worried that I won't know what or which doesn't work when something goes wrong.

Any thoughts or suggestions? One of my goals is to get as close to the front of this so I can be more active in helping test or QA new developments. I'm definitely more comfortable with CVS at this point...

Collapse
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
Eric,

I recently succeeded with an upgrade of 5.1.4 => 5.2.3. I hope some of my notes will help you. I didn't upgrade AOLServer so I don't know what to tell you there, except that you might try upgrading to 4.0.10 and OpenACS 5.2 at the same time.

Note that you'll need to dump and import your database a few times with 7.4.13 and then 8.0.7 to convert everything properly.

Ryan

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Definitely best to upgrade one subsystem at a time, so as to limit the problem scope that you need to work through.

I followed the upgrade instructions[1] in the docs after upgrading to aolserver4.0.10 first.

1. https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-2/upgrade-4.6.3-to-5.html

best wishes to an uneventful upgrade! =)