Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: A Customer's Self-Service Interface to Bug Tracker!?!

Hi,

Why don't you use a subsite for each customer and a bug
tracker instance on each?

Good point, we've been thinking about that. This makes definitely sense if the customer's bug trackers are independent from each other. Like when you're developing custom functionality for each customer.

However, atleast in our case we've got a single "Product" (]project-open[) that is shared amongst several hundered customers. And we've got a single development team that deals with all of the bugs. So we'd either need a "unified view" to all the different bug trackers or we'd need the above mentioned permission scheme.

But it's a good question: Do our target customers develop only a single product (product companies), or do they develop independent custom projects (service companies)? I guess that the majority are service companies...

Still, we don't work with "subsites" (]po[ consists of ~50 singleton packages), so that option wouldn't work for us.

However, we're planning to support multiple bug trackers for companies that are maintaining more then one "product". Then we'd assign the correct prodcut to each customer.

OpenOffice invoicing

Yes, that would be interesting to learn about...

Probably the usual channels you are using for ]po[

Yeah, that's the easy one. But I was thinking about all of these PHP and Ruby guys that are looking for BugZilla, phProject etc. How to get the message through to them that there is a "superior" system around (OpenACS, naturally...)? Just getting an idea: What about posting on _their_ community pages and asking them to take a survey to inquire about their opinions or to compare the systems? Would be a pretty bold move, I guess...

Thanks for the feedback Malte!
Frank