Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN User Interface Design Forum

Collapse
Posted by Christian Fuchs on
I would suggest to start a new forum ".LRN User Interface Design" to discuss any aspects about the "face" of .LRN.

I think that .LRN is a great product and we use it on our site (http://www.bildungsserver.com) very successful.

But I also see that many modules are not up-to-date in design and functionality. I know that there is a discussion about Web 2.0 and Ajax going on, but for me that is the technical side. There is also a user interface and usability side.

In our project many teachers are not so super familiar with computer and internet. They want to work with the system and for them it is necessary that the plattform is easy to use and looks good.

Collapse
Posted by john zhang on
that is a good suggestion. As a user, I want to have several choices too.
Collapse
Posted by Matthew Coupe on
I would advocate further forums for dotLRN related talk. I'm not 100% sure .LRN user interface design would be the best name for such a forum but a few new ones relating to perhaps, tutor talk, content development on dotLRN, administration, technical, etc.

It would probably encourage more active participation from those who are not wanting to contribute code but more share their use of the system?

You could even have a getting started with .LRN for people who are trying to install and get to grips with the system. That way the forums would be more focussed as opposed to lots of discussion threads for an entire range of subject matter. It will also make them a more useful resource bank for external parties trying out the system.

Who has the rights / privileges to set up this kind of thing? The consortium?

Matthew

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
There is no reason you can't discuss any of those topics on the .LRN Q&A forum. Feel free to start any discussion you like.

The major issue with multiple forums in a community this size is fragmentation. We already tried splitting off a CMS forum and it was not very successful. Noone posts there and noone reads it. It is not clear we have enough community members to create many specialized forums.

We discussd this with Philip (one of the creators of the original ACS) and its pretty clear having many specialized forums is not ideal.

So for now, please discuss all user interface and usability issues right here! The community is well aware of the need to improve usability of the applications of OpenACS and .LRN.