Forum OpenACS Q&A: Applying for commit rights

Collapse
Posted by Christian Brechbuehler on
A while ago, Frank Nikolajsen suggested:
Have 'commit levels' and a document describing them. By this I mean some agreed upon policy of what people with commit privileges but different levels of experience are allowed to do to the tree without asking anyone else (would perhaps help on the bug/patches issue). E.g. I am a newbie, so I am only allowed to change things in HEAD, that doesn't touch security issues or change the state of the DB. But I would be encouraged to fix, say, trivial noquote bugs where I find them, in cooperation with the package maintainer.

I read up on the Governance discussion (and pissing contest between Neophytos and others). This mostly dates to 2003. Where are we today?

Specifically, how would I apply for newbie level commit rights on package acs-subsite?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
There are two ways to get commit.

1) Recomendation by a current member of the community, usually another committer.
2) Submit some code for review, a new feature, or bug fix. Usually through the bug tracker as a patch. If you do this, I suggest you email mailto:oct@openacs.org since we currently have not worked out a good system for managing patches.

Collapse
Posted by Christian Brechbuehler on
Thank you, Dave!

2) comes closer, though it's not even my code -- the bug and the fix have been in the bug tracker since 2004. This week that same bug bit me. While OpenACS.org showed me how to fix it, I thought the improvement should also go into in the code. Of course I can upload a patch, giving credit, and notify the OCT. If someone on the OCT commits the changes, all the better.