Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Walkthrough of Creating, Publishing, and Displaying Content

Gregory, I would be happy to contribute my findings so that others may benefit from my stumbling through this.

Dave, thanks for responding. I am aware that CMS and ETP are interfaces to the CR subsystem. I have looked and clicked around in both. What I am really seeking is guidance in using either these or other interfaces to publish content through the CR. I will analyze the CR code and experiment with the CR API _only_ if I find that the existing higher level tools are inadequate. My feeling at this point is that the tools will probably work. What I need is for someone(s) familiar with using the tools to summarize (the more specific, the better) their use. I know there are folks out there that can do this... I see that dev.openacs.org is built using the CR and ETP as can be seen in my CVS snapshot of that site. As a matter of fact, that CVS snapshot was what whetted my appetite and sent me down this road.

Jun, thanks again for your insight. I believe you when you say that CR and CMS are big and complex, and I hope to someday truly appreciate their elegance. But I would really like to understand how to use existing UIs to perform high-level operations. I expect I'll soon be looking also to manipulate subsites, groups, and permissions from this same high-level perspective.

Thank you all.

Randy