Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Site nodes inherit permissions in a strange way

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
I thank Barry for pointing this out.  Especially the situation wherein you will have no context_ids.

Why not we just inherit from the nearest parent subsite?  Whether you create you application on the Main subsite or in the sub subsite admin site node page.  This would of course make subsite more important and may have the drawback of having atleast the root node to be a subsite.

I think its logical since if you mount a bboard and mount a news package under the bboard.  The news package will care less about the custom perms of bboard that it inherited.  I normally set my perms on the subsite node anyway.  I never do it on any other packages.  Also our current best practice is to make the tree wide not deep.  Lets just get the context_id from the nearest subsite irregardless where you are in the UI.

Although inheriting the context id from the parent seems be good too as its the way the people would expect it since file systems behaves this way.  Also you may want to set the perms so sub nodes will inherit it from them rather than create another subsite just to make custom perms via the UI.

I think we should just get the context id from the nearest subsite irregardless where you are in the UI.  This should preserve the current behaviour, easier to do and gives us more time to think about this issue.  Sorry Lars if you have made the changes already.  But I think we need to step back again and think about it more.  Also the suggested fix should be enough for our use right now.