Forum OpenACS Q&A: How many users of ACS are there?

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I saw this company ad today for groupcare.biz, a Danish provider
of .WRK-style intranet software, that claimed: "Today we're
providing knowledge sharing for 250,000 users. -- tomorrow we'll
welcome another 800."

So I was thinking: How many users do we have?

To be fair, we should probably only count intranety sites like
ShareNet, Sloanspace, AISEC, etc., and not "straight" web sites like
greenpeace.org. But a web site with both a public and an internal
side to it should obviously count the internal side.

So can we get a count? What sites are there, and how many people use
it?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hmmm... I guess I can only count one for us.  We have a site used for collaborating with the client. Basically each client has a subsite with a different look that matches the client's look.  The Home page is editable with a portal for each of the modules that it uses, file-storage, bboard and ticket tracker lite.

It has about a dozen subsites, 80 users, 400 files, 1000 post and 200 tickets.

We also have one dotLRN site.  1000+ users.

We also have some sites that does not qualify to be intranety but has alot of users.  Like a site like hotmail although it does not deliver email but telegrams.  A site wherein you buy online courses and view your webcasts.  I guess thats it for us.

Collapse
Posted by Gregor Obernosterer on
By the end of September we should add UNIDO = United Nations Industrial Development Organisation. We have there about six publishers and 60 editors beside the public users that can register.

We built our own CMS - that should be redistributed by then as well. Til will help us on that.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Okay, I will pitch in AIESEC and make a guess for Siemens. AIESEC runs with 71.000 users and this is only intranet. Around 1000 new per month. As for Siemens, the last figure I heard was 10.000.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
So we're up to 82,140?
Collapse
Posted by Allan Regenbaum on
We have a hospitality customer running an ACS classic site with 23000 registered users.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Alright, 105,140 :)
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
I can contribute numbers for two sites.  The first is an ACS Classic site run by A Large International Organization.  It has 30,000 registered users and is currently growing at 3,000 per month.  The other is Sloanspace, which has 9,300 registered users.
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Random thought for future versions of ACS: an opt-in pinger that updates a central "user count" tally for OpenACS.
Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
We have an ACS 3.4 classic installation with 15864 registered users.  We're in the process of migrating to OpenACS 4.6.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
160,304 user.
Collapse
I forgot to add the UN Staffnet - unfortunately only LDAP users, but basically the whole UN worldwide including Kofi A. Annan.
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Spencer on
T-Mobile's employee and dealer training site runs OpenACS 4.5 and currently
has 28,000 users.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
188,304 users.

Gregor, is there a user count for UN Staffnet?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by MaineBob OConnor on
We are using openacs3.x on www.greatestnetworker.com site with 28,294 registered users (this does not include the 3,077 deleted users that you may or may not want to count). We also have two private sites, one with 700 users and another with 256 users. So, this is a total of 29,250 registered users to add to the total. -Bob
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
217,554 users total.
Collapse
Posted by Cristian Lapa on
we have 1185 (one year running so far) in a project for  UNDP/Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
"We have 1185 (one year running so far) in a project for UNDP/Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs."

Opa, tudo bem Cristian? Que bom ver outro Brasileiro por aqui! 😊

It's nice to see OpenACS being used in Brazil. Are you guys using 3.x or 4.x?

I talked to the folks from Procergs (IT company for the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul, organizers of the very successful International Free Software Forums in Brazil) at LinuxWorld and they want to work with me and others to translate dotlrn to Portuguese so they can use it on their universities.

So hopefully soon OpenACS will be used more widely in Brazil. I'd love to hear about your use of it in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Collapse
Posted by Michael A. Cleverly on
Tambem eu gostaria de saber mais!
Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

The Mydomain.com service has over 100,000 active users.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Heh :)

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
At USU we have over 4,300 registered users in two OpenACS sites. Soon to be expanded to many more.

That brings the total to 323,039

Collapse
Posted by Cristian Lapa on
Reberto and folks from Brazil, I'm not one of the "engineers" (eu faco o meio-campo entre as equipes de metodologia, desenvolvimento e conteudo - sou cientista politico e sei "ler" programacao, mas nao sou um desenvolvedor), who are very shy about posting on this bboard, so I was designated to hunt down other brazilians, so to speak =).

We have a heavily modified ACS running behind our official website and communities, and OpenACS in two testing machines. We were working hard to get e-learning working under ACS but kinda dropped it waiting for dotLRN.

We chose an Oracle DB mostly because of Intermedia - PorsGres isn't quite there yet when it comes to sws, for example, and it's very important for us to have that working. Eventually we plan on dropping ACS and Ora and migrating to Postgres+OpenACS, but not in a near future. It would take a long time to port all the mods we worked on ACS to OpenACS, and with only a small team for R&D and diagnosys, it would be overkill.

We've been working on some OpenACS modules we don't use in our our regular jobs, like ecommerce (wich doesn't require Ora), because it's fun, we learn a lot and maybe we could get a "consulting" gig for small business if it works straight.

Ja deu pre ver que o esse forum nao suporta acentuacao. Isso nos deu uma enorma dor de cabeca =)

Nos vamos nos mantendo ocupados, por assim dizer.

Collapse
Hey Lars,

according to the UN Staffnet count, there are about 51484 users - constantly changing. The System will soon be ported to OpenACS 4.5 - hopefully.

Cheers, Gregor

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Los Angeles Unified School District (Facilities Division) has around 500 active. This will significantly increase in the coming months.
Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Reviving this post. We've recently gone live with an OpenACS site that has about 200 staff users and will be opening up to the public in the coming weeks. So, I'll revisit this thread then.
Collapse
Posted by Simon at TCB on
If anyones interested there's a new, small site we've just built thats now in pre-launch live state.

Its only a simple site, but its a good example of what you can have for less than five grand. Its also got a supplier based CMS, which isn't publicly visible, but is pretty neat.

www.theprintpool.com

Cheers

Simon