Forum OpenACS Q&A: new site released soon ... where to upload code?

Hey all,

I would like to announce that we will be soon launching the new site for the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO). I will also ask for the permission to use the name for official references for the community. Esentially we built our UNIDO customized CMS and included other features such as forums, OpenFTS, directory, general-comments (solicited) etc. I will provide a case study soon on that (bug me if I am overdue).

Now I have a question. We created a new module called UNIDO Content. I would like to redistribute it back to the community. Is there some sort of "code dump". There will also be a demo system on www.lanifex.com to see it before. The problem I see for redistributing the system is that we were not able to use the content repository, therefore we created proprietary tables... grrr

Is there a place I can upload the package - it will need some dedication to make it work still.

Happy hacking,
/Gregor

We will shortly be launching a new version of the openacs.org site.  As part of that we've talked about creating a repository for user-contributed packages that, for some reason or another, aren't going to be part of our OpenACS-supported suite of packages.

So I think this will probably be the best place for your UNIDO Content system.  Even though it doesn't use the content repository there's always value in having more examples of how people are tackling issues like content management, so I'm sure folks will find it interesting.

It may be a few weeks or a couple of months before we're ready with a user contributed repository on the new site.  We'll probably want to have some public discussion of organizational issues, i.e. will we want to define categories (like "content management")?  etc ...

Dear Ben,

as soon as I have the approval from the customer we can officially use the UNIDO as an OpenACS reference project - I will know by the end of the week. I will also contribute case study (in English and German).

Cheers,
Gregor

Collapse
Posted by Ayman M on
Hi,

As some of you know, I am completing my thesis with Rafael Calvo as my supervisor.

I need to upload my code in the next few days to the community. What would be the best way of doing this? Is there someone I should email it to or do I use CVS (which I currently am not sure how to use)?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Ayman