Forum OpenACS Q&A: ANNOUNCE: prerelease of OpenFTS-tcl-0.3

Since, I've finished updating the tcl version of OpenFTS, I will do a pre-release today. OpenFTS is designed to work both in Aolserver and tclsh, and since the tclsh version depends on nstcl, I'm not doing a full release until Michael Cleverly releases nstcl early next week. In the mean-time, feel free to download and use the latest version of OpenFTS with aolserver. Goto sourceforge and follow the links to the download area.

New features in this release:

• Uses new tsearch contrib module in Postgresql (requires pg 7.2 or later)
  • New Ispell dictionary support - useful for multi-lingual searching/indexing - If you can find ispell dictionary files for the language you wish to index, then the Ispell dictionary support will be useful.
  • New support for Snowball stemmers - see Snowball site on SF Currently, I've built in support for stemming in Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. This is experimental, and eventually I will build in dynamic build support, so that new stemmers can be added to Openfts, when they become available on the Snowball site.

Please download and test.

One thing to note: slight changes will be needed to the openfts-driver to support this new version.

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Dan,

Great news! Just when I needed it ;)

Anyway, Jon Pike (mailto:jon@open-msg.com) was going to run it through tis paces for release 4.6, but if you've got an updated one, even better.

Any idea how much change is involved to the driver? i.e. Jon may be able to do that so we can test properly?

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
I've added a new method "Search::OpenFTS::DESTROY" that is used to cleanup stemmers and ispell dictionaries when an init, search, or indexing operation is completed.  It's important to do this so that memory leaks don't occur.  I'm hoping this can be handled in the driver, if not the search service contract may need to be extended to support this feature.

Also, I haven't really looked at it, but there probably be some support added for configuring ispell or snowball dictionaries.  Probably, the default configuration sets up the porter english and unknown dictionaries, and does not bother with a config panel for a more detailed configuration.  It's been a while since I looked at it, so I don't remember what's there.

Collapse
I've updated openfts-driver to support the latest version of openfts, which now stands at version 0.3.1, since I found some bugs in the unindexing code when I tested with openacs. The new version of openfts can be found at http://openfts.sf.net.
Great work!

May I use tsearch contrib module in Postgresql 7.1. If not, why?

Collapse
No tsearch didn't become part of postgresql until version 7.2.