Forum OpenACS Q&A: Win32 OACS Oracle install docs in new file storage

I have finally tidied up my install guide for OpenACS and uploaded it to here. The documents are basically a remix of Vinods Unix/linux guide, and all errors and omissions are entirely my fault. The docs should allow a new user to get installed Oracle, Aol server and OACS 4.x and have a 'working' server at the end of their trials. Be warned that file uploads are still not fixed though I do suggest a workaround which I am to lazy/busy* to have tried myself as of yet.
If PostgreSQL is your bag you need to get over to Jamie Rasmussen's site and take a look at these docs, he also has his own version of AOL server 4 which is very useful.
If you happen to be using Active Directory you will find you need to do a couple of extra things to get Oracle to work for you, as I did earlier today when a week after setting it up I tried to open SQLplus and found that Oracle wasn't registered to run in the new domain :( When I figure it out I will let you know.

Regards,
John H.

*Delete as seems fit

Thanks for doing this, John! These docs will save a lot of time for the next people to try this.

I didn't see the file upload workaround you mention above in the docs. I've fixed a few more problems in my AOLserver 4 related to this - some of the problems were specific to Windows, I suspect some of the others aren't but haven't found anyone to confirm this. Both photo-album and file-storage work with my newest binaries, I can test other packages if you like.

Well, actually file-storage is pretty broken since you can't upload files with extensions like ".JPG" or ".jpeg" - see "How is the cr_mime_types designed". But that isn't a Win32 thing.

I'm (still) waiting for AOL to release 4. They took the "beta" string out of the main header file, which is a good sign. The binaries I'm preparing now use pthreads and TCL 8.4 so they are quite close to the Unix code base. I've also ported a few additional modules including nsencrypt, nsimage, and nspasswd, and I've converted docs to Windows Help format. I have newer information than the link you gave above, check out http://empoweringminds.mle.ie/openacs/.

There are still a few things missing, notably nsopenssl which is waiting on Scott G. to check in some AOLserver 4 fixes, and search support which I've not had the time to look at yet. But I think it is already quite usable. In addition to the above two items and misc. other modules like nsldap and nsimap, Scott and I want to give AOLserver a more comprehensive test framework. But that is for the future...

The upload workaround was a suggestion that the affected modules have their file upload methods rewritten to match the 'My Workspace' File upload method as this works fine once the AOL Server patch has been installed. Sounds like your new binaries will make the job far easier as you have solved some of the more taxing problems. Looks like you and Scott are going to give the community a viable Win2k alternative in the not to distant future. I look forward to giving it a go, when its ready :) And thanks for all the help you have given me already with this.

Regards,
John H.