Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to nsopenssl build problem

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Hm. I'm not really clear on what the linker is doing there either, but here are some random things I ran into before that might be of some use:

For some reason I didn't recall, in my aolserver/include/Makefile.global I changed the ld used on Solaris like so:

<     LD=/usr/ccs/bin/ld 
--- 
>     #LD=/usr/ccs/bin/ld 
>     LD=/usr/ccs/bin/ld -L/etc/lib -ldl 

I don't know if it makes a difference whether you use the Sun or Gnu ld. By default I believe the AOLserver makefiles use just plain ld, which is the Sun ld on Solaris, and that's what I'm using.

Back in April I had problems with ld deciding to link against what I believe is/was a buggy libssl.so, so I added that -Bstatic incantation above to make it link against libssl.a instead:

date: 2002/04/09 01:34:38; author: andy; state: Exp; lines: +2 -2 New version of OpenSSL was giving weird 'ld.so.1: /web/aol3/bin/nsd: fatal: relocation error: file /web/aol3/bin/nsopenssl.so: symbol SSL_CTX_free: referenced symbol not found' errors, and grep showed that SSL_CTX_free symbol was present in libssl.a but NOT in libssl.so. So, added -Bstatic to link against libssl.a - thanks to Scott Blomquist <sb@techsquare.com> who came up with this solution.

But none of those sound quite like your problem. If no one else chimes in, I'd contact Scott Goodwin directly, as he's generally very helpful.