Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Simple caching of html content

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
We talked about it a month or two ago: The memory footprint of an OpenACS server is pretty large, and my guess is that most of it is due to all the extensive caching. That's perfect for a production environment, but it can be annoying and wasteful on a development box where you may be running ten different servers at once, most of which have very low traffic.

I noticed that ns_cache create has an option to specify the max size in kilobytes. Maybe we could use that always, and have a config file option to set the size, so you can lower it on dev servers and up it on production servers.

This, of course, doesn't help with all the nsv-caching that's also going on, for example for the query dispatcher and the message catalog. This could be helped if those had an option to load from file every time which, btw, would also make developing easier.

I'm just tossing this out as an idea for someone with plenty of time on their hands to look into cleaning up at some point. I know I won't have the time to do this any time soon.

/Lars