Forum OpenACS Development: Calendar pkg: call_item and acs_activity

After removing a cal_item, its respective acs_activity hasn't been removed from acs_objects.
Are they supposed to stay in the datamodel?

Since I've found no references in /api-doc to remove acs_activities, I've written the code to manually remove them, but I'm not sure if it's complete. Perhaps, I could have missed anything.

Best wishes,

Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
Good news. I've just found xotcl's proc that does the job. i.e.

::xo::db::sql::acs_activity delete -activity_id XXXX

/api-doc/proc-view?proc=%3a%3axo%3a%3adb%3a%3asql%3a%3aacs_activity+proc+delete&source_p=1

Best wishes,

Collapse
Peharps, it is time to add xotcl's proc into caledar's pkg.
Collapse
Posted by Antonio Pisano on
Dear Iuri,

the technical reason why activities don't get removed automatically at the removal of a cal_item is this: cal_items.cal_item_id references acs_events.event_id, but no ON DELETE behavior is defined. On the other hand, acs_events.event_id references acs_activities.activity_id and there we have ON DELETE SET NULL defined. Therefore, is not clear to me whether automatic deletion of related activity and event tuples is fine in general for all packages that reuse acs-events.

I will try to have a deeper look, in the meantime whoever might have better insight could give some comments.

Ciao

Antonio

Collapse
Posted by Antonio Pisano on
Mmm...

actually, if one looks at calendar::item::delete -cal_item_id https://openacs.org/api-doc/proc-view?proc=calendar::item::delete&source_p=1, this should call ca_item__delete stored procedure https://openacs.org/api-doc/plsql-subprogram-one?name=cal_item__delete&type=FUNCTION, which should in fact remove the acs_event.

Are you making use of this API? Or you're deleting via some custom code?

Ciao

Collapse
Indeed Antonio,
I've used cal_item__delete and I haven't touched into the core's ad_procs.

Pkg versions are:
provides url="calendar" version="2.6.1d3"/
provides url="acs-events" version="0.6.1.1"
provides url="acs-kernel" version="5.9.1"/

I've noticed the dependencies (relationships) among calendar, acs-events and so, while I was debugging the "code workflow".

Thanks for the lesson! I understand why acs-events supports calendar pkg. It makes total sense.

Best wishes,

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on

I've looked into the problem. Iuri is right, there is a problem of acs_activities not being reclaimed. However, the situation is tricky and depends on some details, especially with recurrences.

• calendar entries with recurrences: when a calender entry is created, which contains recurrences, technically the calendar entry generates multiple cal_items (and acs_events) all pointing to a single activity_id. A user has the option to delete each of these cal_items separately, only when the last of these cal_items is deleted, the activity_id (and the recurrence_id) could be deleted.

• calendar entries without recurrences: when the cal_item is deleted, the activity_id could be deleted as well.

The problem is that neither the activity_id nor the the recurrence_id are deleted, even when they could. For more details, see the new test case i have added to the code repository just now.

As a consequence of this, orphan acs_activities (and potentially recurrences) might be kept in the system. When only calendar created acs_activities and recurrences, the following two queries should return 0.

select count(*) from acs_activities where activity_id in (select activity_id from acs_activities except select activity_id from acs_events);
select count(*) from recurrences where recurrence_id in (select recurrence_id from recurrences except select recurrence_id from acs_events);

i'll prepare a patch and commit it in the near future.