Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Ideas to speed up lang::message::cache

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Dear Brian,

hmm, i don't think, loading the nsv is the problem, but rather the db performance of that machine.

i did a quick check on our production site with ~60k message keys (about twice as many as on your site) . Loading these keys with the current OpenACS takes 1.03sec, without loading the nsvs, it takes 0.95 secs, so the difference is little. This is tested with current OpenACS and the database PostgreSQL 10.9 on the same Linux machine running CentOS 7.6 (Xeon 6154 CPU @ 3.00GHz). The full start time of the server is 37sec with 126 packages (time between "NaviServer ... starting" and NaviServer ... running").

Quick check on a different site (openacs.org): 10996 message keys, 142ms with nsvs set, 122ms without. (Ubuntu 16.04, Xeon 4114 CPU @ 2.20GHz, PostgreSQL 9.6.4), full startup time 13sec.

These times are better by some order of magnitude. Can it be that you have the DB and NaviServer on different machines, and there is a networking bottleneck?

-g

Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Hi Gustaf

thanks for the response, your information was very helpful. I did some timings, and yes, it does appear to be the database that is at issue here. The DB and NaviServer are indeed on different virtual machines, so this is something we can look into more closely.

Thanks as always for the insights!
Brian