Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: ns_sendmail replacement?

Collapse
Posted by Mat Kovach on
One real problem that might happen is you'll make OACS dependant on qmail.  For some people this might be a
problem.  Some people can react rather badly to running qmail (but are happy running buggy and insecure software, go figure).

Now, there is the mess822 package (http://cr.yp.to/mess822.html) which includes "new-inject" which you can run with the -n option to create a correctly formatted message with message id and output it to standard output, which could be use to feed to any sendmail type wrapper.

We could add the full name by formatting the from header
like:

From: OpenACS Q/A Forum <mailto:notification-56476-2960@openacs.org>

Instead of

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
I wouldn't dare making it _require_ qmail, just as an option. It should be possible to build it in a way that it can still call ns_sendmail or dump it to another mailer using the appropriate command instead of qmail-inject.

The forums notifications could really use nicer From: addresses. I thought that maybe instead of

From: OpenACS Q/A Forum <mailto:notification-56476-2960@openacs.org>

they could even be set to the posters full name, as it is the case with mails from most mailing lists. Then it'd just need a Reply-To: mailto:notification-1234@openacs.org header so that replies go to the notifications incoming email handler if this is set up.

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on

A related problem is that ns_sendmail (in aolserver/modules/tcl/sendmail.tcl) discards everything but the <notification-56476-2960@openacs.org> part of an e-mail address.

The notifications package is configured to send out messages from [address_domain] mailer <[reply_address_prefix]@[address_domain]. In the case of OpenACS these messages would show up as coming from 'OpenACS mailer' if it wasn't for ns_sendmail.

My vote goes to 'fixing' ns_sendmail, adding a Reply-To header to notifications and replacing the from address with the name and e-mail of the poster (for forums).

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Bart said: "My vote goes to 'fixing' ns_sendmail, adding a Reply-To header to notifications and replacing the from address with the name and e-mail of the poster (for forums)."

Bart, you said you have a fix for this? I would like to use it, but actually not for forums but for notifications-enabled news.

Do you have a patch or something?

TIA

talli