Forum OpenACS Q&A: First OpenACS Training in Brazil

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
I was going to say something about it, but as Iuri already did, I'm gonna supply you with more information.

The Brazilian Government is creating a new portal, that intends to host all the free software solutions developed by its organizations. So, the idea is to have a huge community where everybody can use the softwares and collaborate with it. The best news about it is that the portal is an OpenACS installation, with the .LRN community system.

So, as part of the contract, we are going to provide a free OpenACS training for the people who are responsible for the free software solutions in Brasil. The portal is going to be mentioned at the 8th International Free Software Forum in Brasil, wich is going to happen in April (http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/8.0/www/?q=en) and we'll be launching soon the first OpenACS community in Brasil, hosted by the same portal.

It's a great oportunnity for the software, and the very best news is: there's a real possibility that the governmet becomes sponsor for the OpenACS community. It's not for sure, but there's a real possibility.

Anyways, if you have any questions about it, email me and I'll supply you with more info.

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Great news.

Eduardo, can you write that information up in a form suitable to put in the News portion of this site and .LRN. We are working to publicize openacs/.LRN developments better.

Thanks

Collapse
Well I'll try. I'm not a journalist myself...

First OpenACS training in Brasil

From february 26th to march 9th the firt OpenACS training will happen in Brasília, Brasil. As an iniciative of the Brazillian government, the goal is to provide the people involved in the Portal do Software Público Brasileiro project knowledgment about the software.

The Brazillian government has been investing a lot of time and money in free software, and there are a lot of them produced by the goverment institutions. The first one was the inventary system CACIC, wich community in the country has more than 10.000 users without any kind of merchandise. Trying to improve the community enviroment, they choose OpenACS and .LRN as development framework.

In order to make the software most well known in the government instituions, the government planning branch, Ministério do Planejamento, is promoting a trainment. Open for all the free software community, it's a great opportunity to know more about the OpenACS and its structures.

The trainment is going to be made by the Arpatech Core Team, wich includes Eduardo Santos, Rodrigo Proença and Alessandro Landim. The most important use cases will be studied in the course, such as Embrapa (more than 5.000 users in the Catir project) and MEC (mor than five years in knowledge management). More info can be found at the address www.softwarepublico.gov.br , where the first OpenACS community in Brasil is already hosted.

February 26th - March 9th
Ministério do Planejamento
Brasília - DF, Brasil

Informations:
www.softwarepublico.gov.br
mailto:eduardo.edusantos@gmail.com
+55 61 3313-1468

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Simply Awesome.

Let me know how I can help. (I've now done 4 cycles of training programs)

Collapse
Hi Tracy,

Thank you very much for your help. Maybe you can tell me if we have a good sequence on that. The people I'm going to train don't know anything about OpenACS and some don't even know Linux, so I have to come from the very beginning. I've seen your course themes and it was very helpful:

http://acspropel.com/acspropel/syllabus

Thanks again for supllying this. The sequence I thought was base on the OpenACS core doc, and it's like this:

1 - For everyone

Class 1: What is OpenACS?

2 - For Administrators

Class 2: Web Servers and openACS (Open
ACS install)
Class 3: Install with apt-get
Class 4: First access and configurations
Class 5: Site-wide Admin part 1
Class 6: Site-wide Admin part 2

3 - For developpers

Class 7: Base concepts and TCL language
Class 8: API's
Class 9: List Builder
Class 10: Most important API's

4 - For package developpers

Class 11: Most important packages and procs
Class 12: OpenACS data model
Class 13: My first package tutorial
Class 14: Permission and advanced API's

There are still some bonus classess:

Class 15: Xowiki
Class 16: Design in OpenACS

This is the structure I thought for the course. I didn't put the details, but it's mostly like the OpenACS core doc. I'm taking opinions from everyone who wants to help.

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
My biggest advise is don't do installation first. Use oacsrocks.org or give them an environment. It you can get them "hands on" the first day and experiencing things then they will be more iterested.
Collapse
That's a good point; I didn't think about it. However, we have to teach them how to install. Most people here thinks the OppenACS like a "blackbox", too hard to deal with and to understand. We are the only ones who know how to did it here, and they want to change it, but I guess I got your point: they have to use it a little bit, right? Maybe we should start with some practice on that, before we go the installation.
Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
yeah, I usually do installation as the last thing in the class. Then they have day-to-day familiarity with how it is supposed to look in the end and also motivation since they have built something.
Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
OpenACS training in Brazil is running now and for the next week.

Between February 26 and March 09 ten users from brazilian government and some NGO are going to learn OpenACS/dotLRN specifics. The goal is to get more people educated about OpenACS open architecture and involved in the OpenACS community.

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Hi,

For ACS, there is and was full pedagogy for teaching them what they need to know to deeply understand acs as well as have a fairly balanced training in CS.

The aduni materials are still around, a comprehensive one-year course including one that covers web applications based on a predecessor of openacs, and structure and interpretation of computer programs. If you're training coders, you should definitely consider offering these kinds of courses.

Collapse
Posted by R Baliulis on
Hello,

we are a german company from Hamburg and we are offering a Job to OpenACS and TCL developers! Contact us at mailto:rb@navelar.de