Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Printing with printer control fonts from HTML

Collapse
Posted by David Siktberg on
Do you have an option of sending the required control codes directly to the printer?  The printer manual should explain what character sequences invoke the control font.  Then use the HTML ASCII character representations ( &#xxx; ) to create the required control characters to invoke and revoke the control font.
Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Hi David,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I already considered that. There are 2 problems with that:  firstly, the manual doesn't explain any of that kind of detail. It simply says to select the control font and print that. I've tried printing to file, saving as text, anything else I could think of, but I can't extract that kind of information. The second problem with that is HTML only permits 3 control characters: Horizontal tab, line feed and space, so even if I knew the characters, I've no guarantee HTML will be able to print them.

I've been scouring the web all week. I don't understand much about fonts (or Windows programming in general) but there seems to be almost no information out there about how browsers handles fonts, specifically printer fonts. Odd.