Forum OpenACS Q&A: Updating/Upgrading Openacs

Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Price on
I searched the forum, but can't seem to find any information about upgrading or updating from one version of OpenACS to a newer version.

While I am perfectly capable of installing OpenACS from scratch, what would be a good process for updating 4.5 to 4.6.

I'm doing preliminary planning for the impending release of 4.6 and would like to upgrade without losing any of my current content.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that is offered...

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Gilbert, have you received no reply to this? Hmmm..
Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Price on
Jade, thanks for asking...

No, I haven't. I'm coming to the conclusion I need to install 4.6 from scratch. I mean, I've read vague references to upgrade scripts here and there, but I am supposing these would be version specific to dump data to temp files, drop old tables, alter changed tables, add new tables, and then load the dumped data into the updated database.

But the only documentation I've found is for a new install. Nothing about SW component updates/upgrades. I mean, it is obvious from these message boards that whenever a component of OpenACS changes (Aolserver, Postgres, Oracle, or the ToolKit) then updates or adjustments must be made to everything else, well maybe not Aolserver, but everything else.

Personally, I am a pretty decent Installer, I've installed OpenACS enough, but we are running a vanilla installation of the old ver. 3 at work and I'm hesitant to attempt an upgrade to 4.6 without a better understanding of the process to upgrade without losing data. I'm using 4.5 at home, and again, the major component versions are changing. The intiall install docs are very good, but I personally am at a loss when it comes to upgrading to the next level.

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
You can update your system, and I know I myself have posted numerous times about it.

You need to download the new version and do what you will (cvs merge, or copy over old dirs). All the packages that have been upgraded will show on APM as updated.

Of course, dealing with upgraded adp/tcl code is sometimes problematic, but doable. I have been upgrading sites since before AD had versioning and remember cvs is your friend (well when it isn't a pain in the A#$.)