Forum OpenACS Q&A: postgres installation documentation

Collapse
Posted by Kevin Murphy on
Vinod,

Thanks very much for the instructions on postgresql installation for openacs.

I have several comments about https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-4/postgres.html, mostly relating to SuSE, which is the platform I'm on right now.

I have no directory /etc/rc.d/init.d/.  Instead, the main scripts just seem to be located in /etc/rc.d/.  Embarrassingly, I'm not sure which version of SuSE this is.  I see that it is using kernel  2.4.18.  I got rid of  the /init.d/ in your instructions, and everything worked fine.

You should update the doc page to reflect current thought on PG 7.2.3 (as in, should I have installed it or not).  In general, is it safe to install versions higher than what the openacs docs specify, or not?  The page should give the reader a hint about this or a link to help find out.

You should also comment on whether someone should/can use the postgres package from his/her distribution or not.  SuSE has a preexisting postgres user with a group of 'daemon'.  This does not get overridden by the commands you give,and my postmaster startup mysteriously failed as a result.  You may want to modify your instructions to userdel an existing postgres user first.

It would be nice if your installation commands could be folded into a makefile or script (I guess I could attempt this if it would be a good idea).    At the very least, the prompts and commands could be placed in separate table cells so it would be possible for a user to copy the commands and paste them onto the command line.

Regards,
Kevin Murphy

Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
Here you'll find a few lines about your /etc/rc.d/init.d/ problem.
I can't add more, for I'm an ignorant, myself.
Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm trying to get the docs updated a bit in my spare time.

Interestingly, you and Luigi solved your problems in different ways. You used /etc/rc.d and he used /etc/init.d (in his comment on the docs). Do you (or anyone else) know which is the proper way? And can anyone give any guidance on which versions of SuSE need which path?

The recommended version of PG is 7.2.3 and I'll be updating the docs to reflect this. I'll also make a note to make sure that any existing PG installations are removed before starting our procedures. Can anyone tell me the appropriate RH/SuSE kung-fu to do this? On Debian, it's apt-get remove postgresql.

Having the installation commands converted to a script would be nice (and Tom Jackson wrote a post about making a more intelligent install process) and I'd be happy to help anyone who would take the initiative to do so.

Thanks again - feedback is always helpful!

Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
I just checked: I wanted to be sure that I did not write something wrong in my comment. Ok, positive: what I wrote is right.
All I can say more is that /etc/rc.d in my system (SuSE 8.0) is a folder with an icon that shows a little arrow on the lower-left corner; I am not an expert about computers, but I think that the meaning of this kind of icon is that it just links to something else. Indeed, as I click on it, /etc/init.d comes out.
I do not know the meaning of all these strange names, files and folders.
Is it useful to you, at least?
Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
that is a symlink.

You really should learn to use the command line if you are going to run server apps (unless of course it is a MS box).

There are threads on using daemontools and I really think the goal should be to not depend on init.d et al. Of course since there are those who argue with the DJB philosophy not all will be happy, but I care about security and reliabilty so therefor all of DJB's tools are on my box.