Forum .LRN Q&A: Italian translation

Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
A few words and expressions are so widespread and well known, that they hardly need to be translated, whatever their original language is.
They include "et cetera" (latin), "merde!" (french), "pizza" (italian), and a few hundreds more.
Among these we probably find (and here I come to the point): byte, FAQ, URLs and others.
So, what shall we do?
Byte -> I suggest we leave it untouched.
FAQ -> Although it could be useful for most of the people to learn that FAQ means Frequently Asked Questions (this expression is more and more recurring everywhere), I guess that this dotLRN is not necessarily going to be used by English aware people (am I wrong? I mean end users). Thus, I suggest to translate it: "Domande Ricorrenti" would be shortened to "DR" and I think it's ok.
URL -> Just as byte, it should be left untouched. Note: I would *not* leave untouched "URLs", for the trailing "s" has no sense in Italian: the best would be translating to URL (singular) anyway.
Collapse
2: Re: Italian translation (response to 1)
"File" also would be better left untouched, even if many times it could practically be switched to "documento" (document, in english). It depends on the context, mostly.
I would note that even the best programmers, those writing magic code, don't necessarily adopt the best wording ("wording"? is it english or I just invented it? I mean something like "choice of the right words") when it comes to user interface.
I would thus feel rather free to adapt the text...
Collapse
3: Re: Italian translation (response to 1)
Posted by Vadim Makarov on
No, I think every word or abbreviation has to be translatable. Although some languages may reuse English terms a lot, you never know. For example, out of what you've listed above I'd only leave "URL" intact when translating into Russian (but "URLs" becomes "URLы").

By the way, I don't know what "merde!" means, and it's not in my dictionary.

Collapse
4: Re: Italian translation (response to 1)
Posted by Vadim Makarov on
Sorry, I haven't noticed you're talking about Italian.
Collapse
5: Re: Italian translation (response to 1)
For "Merde!" try here, here or here.
Briefly, it's French for "shit!".