Forum .LRN Q&A: dotLRN project update

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
A dotLRN steering group has been recently formed (see https://openacs.org/projects/dotlrn/tasks for details) and is busy getting the project underway.

The testing team is at the starting gate, waiting for a 4.6 release so they can begin their testing on a "known" release of OpenACS.  The 4.6 release should happen this week, according to Don, so they should be able to get started Real Soon Now.  Once they have taken a preliminary pass through the  packages we should have a better idea of when a release will happen.  We don't anticipate a long testing cycle since the product is already in production use at Sloan.

In the meantime, several members of the group have news to report from their evangelism efforts, which they will be adding to this thread.

*ahem* Next?

Collapse
2: Re: dotLRN project update (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
News from Sloan:
  • We are working on a photobook/extended profile RFP hopefully going out for bid this week.
  • We are meeting with OCW on en baling IMS content packaging based data tranfer. At this point it looks like we will be primarily transfering data from file-storage, with lesser capabilities for Calendar, Static portlets, survey, faq. RFP to do the coding maybe ready in about a month.
  • OF delivered code for the The Research Collaboration the tarball included "personal-communities" "research-papers" "dotlrn-research" "research-portlet" packages. I am testing/implementing it this week. More details as to what it actually does next week.

Steering Group Action Items:

• We agreed that we would like one logo for dotLRN. Obviously every installation will use its own or a school logo but we would like a standard look for dotLRN uncustomized.

We currently have 3 candidates. We will be inviting the dotLRN community to vote as soon as survey is available on openacs.org.

Collapse
3: Re: dotLRN project update (response to 1)
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Here are some news from Collaboraid:

We visited the NetLearning2002 conference which was a both fun and interesting experience. At the conference were people (mostly professors and teachers) from universities who are interested in e-learning as well as companies (mostly small companies like Collaboraid) excibiting their e-learning solutions. The e-learning market is extremely fragmented. There are more than 150 different e-learning solutions in use in Sweden today, some homegrown, others commercial. What's more is the e-learning systems are all very similar. The most positive thing I took with me from the conference is that people are genuinely interested in Open Source, mostly as a means of saving licencing costs, but still. Open Source emerged as the key selling argument and differentiator of dotLRN.

We are working on merging the dotlrn-1-0 release branch onto the HEAD where the I18N work resides. We are done with the dotlrn package and are working our way through the other packages. The improvements on the OpenACS 4.6 release branch need to be merged onto the trunk as well and I believe Jeff has already done much of this work.

Another task that I feel is important to do as soon as possible is to make dotLRN HEAD use the new portal package. I will check with Open Force what the status of that package is.

As soon as we are done with the merge we will tackle the issue of changing translations to be done on phrases rather than words. We are hoping that we will be able to find a good process for this work and maybe outsource some of it to the most active translators who need these changes.

When setting up our new dotLRN demo server (http://dotlrn.collaboraid.net) for the NetLearning conference I extended the TclWebtest script that sets up dotlrn demo data quite a bit. I am planning to set up four regression testing servers that are recreated from scratch every night for dotLRN (oracle and postgres for dotlrn-1-0 and oracle and postgres for the HEAD). I am hoping that this will help the dotlrn-1-0 testing process and help speed up the release. It will also help us spot bugs that we create on the HEAD early and make sure that dotLRN is installable at all times.

Before christmas we will be working on external authentication (a work that Andrew started) for the Heidelberg university.

Mohan is currently at the Bergen University installing dotLRN and talking about the specific needs that they have on an e-learning system.

Collapse
4: Re: dotLRN project update (response to 1)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Janine

From using dotLRN in the last few weeks my feeling is that the most visible error is the one I posted in:
https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=59478

Does anyone have news about this problem with the calendar?

cheers

rafael

Collapse
5: Re: dotLRN project update (response to 1)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on

News from Heidelberg:

- i18n: we are looking for volunteers (and funding) to help finish the remaining i18n work: fixing problematic message keys/adding timezone support/charset review/more translation and other things that pop up. Collaboraid has created a jewel and now we need some people to start polishing it.

- As Peter mentions above, we have set aside funds for Collaboraid to start on External Authentication. More on this soon.

Steering Group Item:

-DOCUMENTATION: dotLRN now has very basic user level and programmer level documentation (http://dotlrn.org/ ). Both need review. Programmer level documentation should probably be in the standard location for OpenACS packages and user level documentation should be moved into the OpenACS/dotLRN UI where possible. This would allow us to take advantage of the i18n infrastructure for user documentation, while pushing it closer to where it might be needed. Any thoughts or comments on this?

Carl

Collapse
6: Re: dotLRN project update (response to 2)
Posted by Samir Joshi on

About OCW and IMS…

While using OpenACS / dotLRN I feel bit handicapped due to ‘database-backed’ nature of the platform. Repurposing the content is a huge task. We can either
  • ‘publish’ content from selected packages within a dotLRN community in plain HTML format, which can be then hosted on any web server in the world. It seems this is what you have in mind for the selected packages ( file storage + faq, survey , static portlet…) for now.
  • Or ‘externalize’the same content in XML / XSLT form. XML format will let us import the same content on another dotLRN installation. Additionaly, capability to generate HTML ( and WML and what not...) is still retained.

In the long term I would vote for the second option : It provides round-trip content transfer service – that will be very very useful in many cases : while upgrading to new hardware, changing database ( version or make) or upgrading to new version of OpenACS.

Research/Collaboration sounds great ! Is it Oracle only ? If so, I would be glad to port it to postgres.

- Samir