Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: ]project-open[ V3.2.Beta4 Released (V3.2 RC 1)

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
This sounds really interesting and I look forward to see how it works. How much of the new enhancements is OpenSource? The reason I am asking is that we are now developing a pure OpenSource solution for collaborative project management across organizations and OpenACS will be the part used for CRM, Project Management and other core functions (there are a lot of other modules).

To go ahead with it I see in general three options:

a) Use your code, only possible if it is GPL. This can only work if the components can really be displayed independently from each other.
b) Take a look what you did (not the code) and move that into Project Manager (at least for the modules that are not GPL). This has the benefit of residing on OpenACS and work with the OpenACS community as well as benefit all current customers, on the other hand it means that we have two project management solutions and we are not really collaborating on this.
c) Ignore your work and just do it anew.

Therefore my question to you: Is there a CVS tag which allows me to download all modules released under the GPL ( so I dont have to check every single file)?

If I go with option B), would you be interested in knowing what we did and also where we made enhancements so you could see how they fit into your core system?

Last but not least, if we were to include your dynfields work in OpenACS, would you be interested in collaboratively maintaining it there or is your preference to keep the source code close? This lack of clarity with regards to DynFields in particular has so far prevented me from looking at the options it offers.

P.S.: Does setting up a demo server with PO constitute a violation of the license rules for the open source / non GPL modules?