Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OACS CMS - Stillbirth?

Collapse
Posted by Kevin Murphy on
A CMS is so important that I am willing to work on it, but I can't do a lot of work.  There are probably many people in that category: do we feel that this is true, and that it is possible to harness this collective potential?  If so ... if there is even one person who is willing to be an aggressive CMS
project manager and champion -- even if that person does no coding or design at all -- it might help a lot.

Speaking as a newbie, I worry whether CCM has thrown OpenACS into confusion and made people unwilling to work on new functionality for fear it will be a waste of time.  I hope not, but if the OpenACS gurus feel this way, I'd like to know.  Personally I think OpenACS should shed its blind port past and fork its own way into the future.

I find it hard to believe that the none of the OpenACS companies have produced a semi-generic CMS or improved the flawed existing one.  Is this because the toolkit makes it hard to add generic functionality, or because most of the
competent people here have a vested short-term commercial interest in not sharing new functionality with the "community"?

On a more positive note, has anybody evaluated the UNIDO CMS?  I can't find any discussion of it.

-Kevin Murphy