Forum .LRN Q&A: Public access to a dotLRN class/community...

I anticipate a few class/clubs where there would be far more readers than writers. The readers may not be interested in registering, at least in the begining. So for such visitors, a class site becomes more like OCW - typical static site. Not a bad thing I guess, they may first see the content/discussions offered and then if they like it, may become registered user to participate fully.

I reckoned that on site-map, if I grant 'read' permission for the club node to the general public, it should work. But nope - apparently, portal system has its own permission check that prevents the unregistered user from accessing the page.

I have not looked at the portal code yet - but it will be very helpfull if someone in the know can suggest best approch to achieve this. Or is this general enough requirement to be made configurable and incorporated in the standard distribution itself.

Thanks !

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
To the public, you should grant 'read' on the site node and you should grant 'read' on the portal_ids (member/non-member).

If applicable, you should grant 'read_private_data' on the site node to be able to view the forums portlet and you must work around the 'check whether the user is a member' in one-community.adp/tcl (if you don't want to present the non-member portal). This is how it worked on my CVS checkout (september).

I would like to see a general solution for this problem, though.

Collapse
Posted by Denis Barut on
Hi Aldert,

I've try to grant read to The Public at the dotltn site node (even in the main level), and also with the portal id but without success. Have you change something in the portal::render proc  (ad_require_permission) ?

I'm always redirected to the register page.

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Kolja Lehmann on
There are still a lot of occasions in the code that use [ad_maybe_redirect_for_registration] instead of [ad_conn user_id] that can prevent anonymous users from viewing.
Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Sorry Denis,
I usually don't see remarks that are not on the first page of the forum.
In reaction to your question: I didn't change portal::render, but I created a new portal page at "/". I didn't try to make /dotlrn public. (Part of)The answer to your problem was probably given in the former post.