Forum OpenACS Development: Workflow object type name

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
It turns out the old acs-workflow package uses the object type workflow. The plan is to remove that package from OACS. However, in order to avoid a clash for people who are installing the new workflow package on an existing installation I am resorting to the object type workflow_new for the new workflow package.

I'm not entirely happy with the new name and so if anybody has any better suggestions, please speak up now.

Thanks!

/Peter

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
sonofworkflow
workflow2
oworkflow

Dumb suggestions, agreed, but better than 'workflow_new' because someday it won't be new anymore.

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
track
action_tracker
(that is if they don't exist in OACS)

It seems workflow is meant:
- to keep one on the right track
- to track something down
- to move along an existing track

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Peter,

Why not workflow_fs for Workflow Finite State.  Still workflow since that is what we are use to.  And fs to semi describe it.

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
I'll support that, good choice Jun!
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Problem with mentioning FSM is that the data model isn't intended to be FSM only. There's a deliberate split between FSM-related and non-FSM-related things in the data model for exactly this reason.
Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I guess it isn't consistent to use short abbreviations for this, so wf probably isn't an option. How about wrkflow, as in dotwrk?

Collapse
Posted by Samir Joshi on
Some more suggestions : workflow_slim / workflow_lite /quick_workflow / workflow_i2 (i for iteration or incarnation).
Collapse
Posted by Mohan Pakkurti on
How about "wf"? :)

Do we have any opinions about using really short names?

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Thanks for all the great suggestions! The name we've chosen to go with for now is workflow2. Hope that sounds ok to people.

/Peter