Forum OpenACS Q&A: /acs-content-repository/ - Content Item Not Found

when i try to access the acs-content-repository i get this:

The requested item is not available for viewing. The item is either not available on this server or it is not in a publishable state Unpublished items can be viewed via the CMS interface if the CMS package is installed.

cause & effect? with thanks

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
The UI to the content repository is not really of much general use.  The content repository is primarily meant to be a utility package that other packages use to store content, and one normally views such content through client packages rather than through the CR itself.

You might, for instance, play with packages like file storage or the photo album package.  These both create content in the CR.  Typically, though, you'd visit "your.site/file-storage" to look at files rather than the generic CR UI.

There's some messiness here due to some integration work by ArsDigita that was never completed (the CMS originally was designed as a standalone system, and the Content Repository is a generalized storage utility for ACS 4 that implemented a bunch of the CMS's storage datamodel and API when it was decided to integrated the CMS with ACS 4).

The CMS has the ability to publish content to the filesystem to avoid the overhead of database lookups, but this functionality hasn't been exposed in a way that's useful for other clients of the CR.

Cleaning up some of the basic CR and CMS functionality is one of the more important goals I have in mind for 4.7 ...

For now, though, you'll have better luck using the UI provided by client packages themselves rather than the generalized UI provided by the CR.

If you're interested in digging into this stuff and lending a hand for 4.7, we're always looking for volunteers!

Collapse
Posted by tool who on
much gracias for the info. As for helping out, atm i only have access to the net from work, but i should be getting a stable internet connection in about a month or 2 at home, but i'll try to help out wherever i can.
Collapse
Posted by James Bennin on
I am trying to develop an web page/appplication where users and visitors of my site (running on OpenACS 4.6.3) will be able to upload and download files.  These files will be sorted and indexed according to different categories. I want to develop a site with functionalities and user abilities such as the one for photo.net.  Which package(s) should I use for that?  I thought about the content-repository package and/or the content management system.  Which one should I use?  How do I use it to create/and content, search them, etc.....

Thank you