Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Package Documentation: How can we tell if a package is fully documented?

This wasn't me, that was Vinod who ported the blogger to Oracle. I use the db_string foobar {} form. :)

I've personally gotten used to looking for the db_ commands, and I appreciate the fact that the code takes up fewer lines so it's easier to see the big picture.

I agree, though, that the situation is not ideal. Swapping between foo.tcl, foo.xql, and foo-yourdb.xql to find the corresponding DB statement is annoying. I like the idea of a script to put the DB statements into the tcl file, but I don't think it's realistic, because that would make all your files locally modified and confuse CVS. Besides, then you start relying on it, and when you forget to keep your xql files and your tcl files in sync, you're going to waste time finding the problem.

I think we should modify the api-browser, though, so it does some regexp'ing on db_ statements to bring the query inline. Maybe that would encourage more people to use the API-browser, and in turn encourage more people to improve the API-browser to include things like links to "real" documentation, overview documentation ("why is the API for this package designed like that"), etc.

/Lars

It would be awesome to have an emacs function that switches to the query at the current cursor position. Oh well, just dreaming ...