Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: My production site is down

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on

"Monit also does a bunch of other things only slightly related to controlling the daemon process. Configuration is not easy, since it is different for each daemon you want to setup."

Configuration of supervise is also not easy, since each daemon needs its own start script. I don't have that much experience with monit to be honest, and I never meant this to be a "monit vs supervise" war. Use whatever you like best. I just gave my personal opinion that djb tools are hard to setup and use.

"DJB software runs from the same location on every unix type system...

Overgeneralizations are dangerous. This will only be the case if you install it the djb way. It doesn't mean that it'll always be the way it'll happen. There are packages out there to build binaries out of djb tools and install them in more sane locations.

"If I were to guess DJB uses his copyright to protect the software he writes from hacking by less informed individuals"

What you did not say is that it also discourages very informed individuals from improving those tools, since their modifications have to be distributed as patches. The result would be more collaboration and better software for everybody, unless you believe djb is some sort of godly entity that is perfect and whose work is impossible to improve.

By "free" I meant "I can change it and redistribute my changes in binary and source forms". If you really need an answer to your "so what?" question, then I suppose (and I mean no offense with this) that you're missing the point about open source/free software, IMHO

The .gif's in OpenACS will eventually be replaced. This is a left-over. The images themselves are not un-free. The LZW algorithm, which is used to encode those images, is covered under patent.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Mat Kovach on
By "free" I meant "I can change it and redistribute my changes in binary and source forms". If you really need an answer to your "so what?" question, then I suppose (and I mean no offense with this) that you're missing the point about open source/free software, IMHO

I'd like to point out that if you look at the daemontools source 90% of the code is licensed under the public domain (which I know, since I'm repacking that code and releasing it under a different license).