Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: rl_returnz turned on at openacs.org

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Jamie,

I was looking into that again today since this thread started up. I'll do it tomorrow (today actually) given ok from the core team.

Sorry for the delay, it is all ready to go.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Frank, two things, the first is that it really isn't my code. It was originally written by Jim Wilcoxson (for rubylane.com hence the rl) I just patched it to handle character encodings.

The second is, of the 100k hits in the openacs log only 55 actually trigger the old mozilla rule and of those I would say probably 25 or so are fake UA strings (typically robots probing for formmail.pl holes or other spidery things and if they advertise accepting gzip then thats their problem).

So for the 0.03% of browsers we might cause a problem for and given what those users web experience must be like already, I certainly am not going to go out of my way to fix it.

If you do want to fix it then I would say that you should probably match on "Mozilla/4.0[0-9]" since I also see things like Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;) and Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;) (spiders I would assume).

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Tom, can you post something here once you've uploaded your version?

Is that the version I should use, or should I use Jeff's version? I understand both are based on Jim's version, but does it matter which one I use?

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Jade if you have text on your site which is not acsii-7 and you use
aolserver3.3+ad13 then you should use my version.
Otherwise, you should use one that is not really encoding aware.