Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Anybody intrested in porting phpBB to OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Price on
Just a short note, the popular cms's based on php-nuke didn't "port" phpbb2 to anything, both, *nukes and phpBB2 applications are php/mysql driven, the *nukes encapsulated phpBB2, basically stripping out the guts and stuck it unto a frame, changed some of the queries to share userDB's and preferences.

Moving phpBB2 would require a complete rewrite to have it fully integrated into the OpenACS framework as everything else currently is...Or at least alot more work than turning it into an add-on for current php/mysql applications.

But in the end, I am with most everyone else, Bulletin Boards/Forums are an add-on for me, content is King! If I wanted a thriving Bulletin Board community, then I would find the best Bulletin Board application I could and build a site around it.

With OpenACS, I have a great platform for building content! Static page support, Lars-Blogger, general comments, edit-this-page, a great Bug-Tracker, Ticket Tracker Lite, on-line calendar, Lar's Bookshelf, and on and on, none of which appear in phpBB2, and many of the packages can't be found in any of the *nukes. Much of what is in a *nuke is more of a "oh that's a nice add-on" and of true limited value...

No; for me, the current work and goals are in line with my needs, I am hoping to leverage some of the packages currently available into a new application I am planning now for building this summer, but probably later 😊.

I think everyone is on track and I really like the direction OpenACS is taking, later this month I will be completing a migration of our office intranet from OpenACS 3.2.5/php-nuke 5.2 to OpenACS 4.6 pure...

Just wanted to add my perspective as a user and integrater who is glad to be getting away from the php/mysql ties that bind...

Well, not so short...