Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: RFC: Avoid exposing object_ids in permanent URLs

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Lars, I see your concerns, and I remember worrying about this issue myself at one point too, but this smells like inventing a problem to me. I say, use object_id, it's simplest; it's also nice that it is guaranteed to be unique across your entire system, and it's nice that it is a sequence number from the DB rather than something ad-hoc sequence like thing you come up with yourself.

If you don't want to break links when dumping and reloading your data, fine, either, ideally, take the trouble to make sure your object_ids don't change - it can certainly be done. Or not quite as good but still ok, install redirects from all the old to the new URLs, like openacs.org did for the 3.x BBoard to 4.5 Forums transition.

I also see no real benefit to having nice small numbers for Bug IDs. As a user of bug and ticket trackers I don't really care. On the other hand, as a programmer and admin the the fact that an object_id (aka ticket number) is unique system-wide across my OpenACS instance gives me warm fuzzies - as does the fact that using single simple sequence like object_id is very robust to programmer errors, etc.