Forum OpenACS Q&A: Initial "Server Not Found" error, then okay

I've searched the message base, but this is a hard problem to describe in search terms; forgive me if this has been addressed in the past.

Since upgrading my LINUX system to Redhat 8.0, I have had an odd problem develop which may or may not be related to the upgrade. For no discernable reason, the first time I access my site, www.felix.org, Aolserver 3.3 returns a "Server not found" error. If refreshed, though, the home page serves correctly.

I am also running Apache on port 8080, but this behavior only happens with nsd, not httpd.

Any thoughts or suggestions from the group?

RedHat 8.0
Aolserver 3.3 ad13
Postgresql 7.1
OpenACS 3.2.5

I see a similar behaviour on my old machine that I use for development (it only has 64Mb as I robbed the other memory to fix another machine). In my case I get 'server not found' if I access the machine too soon after starting nsd. This is because it takes time to build up momentum and get postgres going with so little memory. I watch the processes with 'pidof nsd' to see when things have started up and accessing after that is fine.

What happens if you leave it for a minute or two before accessing?

This is not a startup issue -- the machine runs 7 x 24 and this phenomenon occurs on a regular basis.  I don't believe it's a memory issue either.  The box has 512MB of RAM, and a quick look at top as I type shows 70MB physical memory free, thus everything should be running in real memory.
Is there anything in your AOLserver error log? It could be just a browser issue? Have you seen it happen in more than one browser?