Forum OpenACS Development: Categorization

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
We're considering porting bug-tracker to use content repository. That would (a) be the right thing to do, and (b) allow us to use cr_keywords for things like priority, severity, and bug type.

Has anybody used cr_keywords recently? Any recommendations?

It used to be (and the documentation still says) that the 'content_keyword' content type was derived from 'content_item', but I see that this is no longer the case, it's derived from 'acs_object'.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas?

/Lars

Collapse
2: Re: Categorization (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
cr_keywords works fine. Ideally I would like a system that could categorize any acs_object. If you are using the CR then it is a good solution. Currently there isn't any user interface to cr_keywords except CMS.
Collapse
3: Re: Categorization (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I echo Dave's feelings that the cr_keyword stuff would actually be nice to have generalized to any object rather than just content.  Perhaps cr_keyword could be subtyped from an object categorization type in order to hook nicely to the CR's ability to automagically output a revision+template, perhaps that's not necessary, perhaps eventually the same capability exists for all objects, I don't know ...

Nor am I thinking you should implement this while migrating bug tracker to the CR, I'm just thinking ...

Remember that the CR/CMS used to be standalone.  I would assume that cr_item was the base object type in that system and that this is why cr_keyword was originally derived from it.  I suspect it got switched to derive from acs_object when the CR/CMS was stitched into ACS 4.0.

Collapse
4: Re: Categorization (response to 3)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I played some with the keyword stuff in cms and I found
the UI unpleasant as usual.  It did work though.  What's the story with the Munich categorization stuff?  Wouldn't it be
the best starting point (cf https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=67698 ).
Collapse
5: Re: Categorization (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I'd forgotten about the Munich stuff.  Yes, if it's good and easy to incorporate it would certainly be better to start with it.
Collapse
6: Re: Categorization (response to 1)
Posted by Deds Castillo on
I believe the classified ads package that Roberto is polishing uses cr_keywords for categorization.  Would be good to create a general categorization package though that can be used independently by all modules.  Extending cr_keywords maybe?