Forum OpenACS Q&A: Help request: How to install OpenACS 4.6 on Rehat 7.3 with Apache 1.3.22 (Postgres 7.3.2 on another server)

Hi:

I'm a complete newbie at this. I found a site that was pretty cool, and the guy indicated it was running OpenACS which I'd never heard of. Furthermore, I found a bookmarks application that I would like to try that runs under ACS.

So, I set off to try and install OpenACS. By virtue of my need to run Apache for another application, I decided I would try to forgo running AOLserver (besides, the name 'aol-server' gives me the willies). I have postgres 7.3.2 on a seperate machine. I have tried searching, and reading, and following all the instructions I can on this subject (OpenACS install under Apache), but, while I am positive other people have managed this, I can't find annotations of how they actually accomplished this feat.

I'm thinking I need a mod_acs module or something to integrate with Apache, but I know absolutely nothing about ACS (other than I need to install it to run the apps I've found) so maybe that's not the case.

If a doc for this is out there somewhere, then please point me to it, and I'll happily read on. Otherwise .. please could someone provide a detailed help? Thorough descriptions of the actual commands to type would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

what you want is actually mod_nsd.  you'll probably have better luck searching for that.
Stephen, another possibility is running both Aolserver and Apache at the same time, but on different ports.

Don't be scared off of Aolserver by its name. Consider the fact that Aol is one of the highest volume websites in the world... the web server running that has to be pretty good to handle it.

Similarly, you wouldn't want to avoid using Apache because some really horrible websites are done on top of Apache. 😊

I don't believe OpenACS 4.6 works with Postgres 7.3.x only with 7.2.x. You would want to downgrade your postgres or wait for OpenACS 4.7 which is supposed to work with postgres 7.3.x I have heard.
just to another vote for aolserver other major sites like mapquest and photo.net use it... its fully capable of doing the job i doubt it is worth fretting over the web server itself, its the software you write the runs behind/on top off/underneath/whatever else the web server that really matters... i would run both apache and aolserver if it were me... (on differnt ports if needed, or on different ip's if you have an extra one to spare).