Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: ]project-open[ V3.2.Beta4 Released (V3.2 RC 1)

Collapse
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Hi,

I don't see PO as a competitor

Sorry Malte, you must have a funny understanding of "competition". Looking at your website you easily find dotTrans (http://www.cognovis.de/xowiki/dotrans). This product is basicly a 1:1 copy of our specific ]project-translation[ system (http://www.project-open.com/solution/translation/), and I believe there is little doubt who was first in the translation market, right?

*NOT* an ERP

That is not the point. We're also working with project-oriented departments of non-service companies now.

take your freelancer module and enhance it by
automatically filled in Key Performance Indicators

But why would you need our new PM extensions for that, as you asked in your first posting?

Sadly reselling this product is costly (20% from the
total revenue generated with the client, Frank, correct
me if something changed from our discussions), especially
if you need to do a lot of modifications.

We have changed that. There is no such percentage anymore. Instead, we offer partners to share revenues from our new "Enterprise Extension Modules".

To summarize:

I agree with with Nima that the market for _services_ around OpenACS is huge and (geographically) fragmented, so that most OpenACS companies can collaborate on the code without fear of competition (even though I know quite a number of cases where companies are holding back particulary valuable extensions to maintain a certain competitive edge...).

However, ]po[ is a "product company", and we face a very knowledgable and resourceful competitor following our path, so we can't just share our code, atleast not in the usual manner.

I hope that is reasonable or atleast comprehensible...

Cheers,
Frank

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Nice to see us appreciated as "knowledgable and resourceful". 😊. And even better to know that you dropped the 20% "penalty" on using ]po[.

As for your question. The reason I am contemplating using ]po[ instead of project manager is simple. You are going to maintain it as a product. So I can be fairly certain that I could have a reliable Open Source project management solution which will be maintained and where someone has an interest in keeping it maintained even if cognovís is going in a different direction.