Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Conforming with Linux Standands Base Project (was re: Reference Platform)

Perhaps the reference system should assume the LSB arrangement with contigencies for platform variations.

An install script (and documentation) could refer to a series of reference files adjusted for different platforms. New reference files could be created for different platforms as existing ones do not work. A document could help installers locate platform specific reference points (and report to OpenACS for doc updates). I'd be glad to help write the instructions --once the reference points are identified. =)

This info could tie in well with dynamically created platform-specific install and admin instructions.

The only thing I see different between Red Hat and debian right now is the details of the init scripts. Which brings me to a related point:

LSB gives rules for init scripts, but I'm not sure it requires them. The install in its current form documents full init scripts for postgresql, rc.local for qmail, and daemontools for aolserver instances. Daemontools is more powerful and more user-hostile than init scripts; doing per-instance init scripts the way we do per-instance service directories would take some re-working. Should I leave it as-is, should I screw up the moral stamina to re-figure out supervised qmail and document it, or should I try to roll qmail and aolserver back to init scripts? Oracle I'm not touching. I would prefer to leave it as-is.