Forum OpenACS Development: timestamptz, NOT timestamp!

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
In PG 7.2 was defined as "timestamp with timezone", or "timestamptz".  In PG 7.3 it's been changed to "timestamp without timezone", a major semantics change.

Unfortunately, whichever we might think is more convenient is not relevant, because all PG 7.2 dumps put out "timestamp with timezone", and existing OpenACS sites run utility code that depends on those semantics.

So in order to maintain our upgrade path for folks who want to move from PG 7.2->PG 7.3 and OpenACS 4.6->4.6.2 and beyone WE MUST USE TIMESTAMPTZ WHERE WE'VE USED TIMESTAMP BEFORE!

I've already hacked up all of our standard packages.  There are also differences in the semantics of operators on timestamps as well, and I've made all the changes necessary for this (as I've mentioned elsewhere.)

That does not include the new bug-tracker code, though, because it wasn't committed before I made my sweep (I don't remember any problems, either, but ... heads up Lars and friends!)

It also of course doesn't include the recently donated events package now in the contrib section of CVS HEAD.

Consider this a CVS HEAD'S UP! :)