Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: universal way of displaying lists of objects needed

Collapse
Posted by Timo Hentschel on
Hi Peter!

Yeah... I'm back! To be honest, i don't really remember the old categorization system too well. Can you provide a link to a demo system where i can have quick look? The links you provided in your old posting aren't working any longer....

To answer your question regarding acs_object.name: Yes, i am sure that acs_object.name just has to be slow if used displaying a list of objects. Why? Well, if you think about it, it just has to be slow to have to invoke this proc for every single object whose name you want to display in an object list, because this proc itself will execute a few queries to get the correct name. If you compare this with an approach in which you just have one single query to get the objects together with their names out of a table then you don't need to set up a test system to compare speed because it's evident that the second approach has to be way way faster than the first one. In my opinion query speed is the topmost design-criteria overruling every other criteria possible, so therefore i see it as established that acs_object.name could be used to get the name of one or some few objects, but for displaying an object list my proposal for a table like acs_objects_description is the better since faster solution.