Forum OpenACS Development: need of advice dealing with acs_permission__permission_p

Working on scalability issues in WP, as you will see WP is completely unusable after loading some thousands users, presentations, slides (in PG 7.2), even using oacs4.6.1, now I have fixed a few queries, instead of doing
things like this in the where clause:

acs_permission__permission_p(i.item_id, 2121, 'wp_view_presentation') = 't'

changed to direct use of the same tables that uses
acs_permission__permission_p, having something like:
from acs_permissions perm
and  perm.object_id = i.item_id
and  (perm.grantee_id = :user_id or perm.grantee_id = -1)
and  (perm.privilege = 'wp_view_presentation' or perm.privilege =
'wp_edit_presentation')

the performance has improved by thousands using this, I thought that making acs_permission__permission_p iscacheble was not a good idea.

Now my main concern is that the extra lines added to the where in somes
queries doesn't have the full functionality of acs_permission__permission_p, basicly in two areas: Check group permmissions & relational segment approved
group

WP doesn't use group stuff directly, because always check (in all the pages) against the user_id.

What do you think? Am I missing something? Do I need to add also that group
permission checks?
Is another better way to work around this thing?

Thanks,

Rocael,
have you seen Don's scalability article? I'm not sure what the most efficient way to check permissions is after Don's changes. The joins you are making won't always yield correct results though. It might be you should use the acs_object_party_privilege_map view. Are you using Don's permissions enhancement (they are on the 4.6 branch)? You probably should be.

I think if in certain cases even the new enhanced permissions API doesn't offer good response times we should consider simpler solutions. For example in the Bookmarks module we are using the permission API only to indicate that certain bookmarks are private and that is obviously an overkill (a private_p flag would be sufficient). I can see how permissions might be useful for WP presentations though.

On Sloan's Sun E450 (not a terribly overwhelmingly fast machine by today's standards, a bit of a slug really), with 11,000 users, a couple of thousand groups, a half-million objects ... calls to permission_p are running from 6 to 10 milliseconds.  That's pretty minimal for random checks on permissions for a particular object.

Using the acs_object_party_privilege_map directly in the WHERE clause is a much faster way to find out the objects you have permission to view in a particular content folder or under a particular package.  So fast that I'd much rather see the bookmarks and similar packages continue to use permissions, switching to private_p wouldn't really be particularly faster.  The extra flexibility could be useful for someone customizing the package - for instance you could make the bookmarks group-private rather than individual-private just by fiddling the perms rather than fiddling code extensively.

Here's an answer I e-mailed Rocael earlier (he originally e-mailed his question to me and Jeff Davis spanked us for not having this discussion in public):

You are on the right track, very close to being right actually, you're only missing the fact that you should use the acs_object_party_privilege_map view for such checking.

This used to do the UNION of groups, parties, relational segments that you're describing as missing above.  My changes in 4.6.1 creates a (large) denormalized table that maintains the same state as an explicit UNION, vastly speeding up the view especially (but not only) in PostgreSQL.

Here's a query snippet (from a big gross query in file storage) that should get the idea across:

select fs_urls_full.url_id as object_id,
                acs_permission__permission_p(fs_urls.url_id, :viewing_user_id, 'write') as write_p,
                acs_permission__permission_p(fs_urls.url_id, :viewing_user_id, 'delete') as delete_p,
                1 as sort_key
              from fs_urls_full
              where fs_urls_full.folder_id = :folder_id
                and exists (select 1
                            from acs_object_party_privilege_map m
                            where m.object_id = fs_urls_full.url_id
                              and m.party_id = :viewing_user_id
                              and m.privilege = 'read')) as fs_objects

Note the use of acs_permission__permission_p() to determine write and delete privileges on the rows that are actually returned but the use of
the acs_object_party_privilege_map in the WHERE clause to figure out which rows to process and return.  Switching to the use of the view in the WHERE clause sped things up by a factor of two or three even though the query had previously been optimized to minimize the calls to permission_p.

The EXISTS subquery you see there works regardless of whether the user has the permission directly, due to being a member of a group, or a relational segment.

In particular it is no longer necessary to ever check for "user_id = 0 and permisssion granted on group -1" or stuff like that again.  Just the direct check against this view is sufficient and covers all the cases.