Forum OpenACS Development: Re: New Features/Use for photo album package

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Keith,

I definitely agree that photo album is very close to what you need as it stands.  I potentially have a very similar need for one of my clients. They have field agents go to to stores and fill out pre-setup forms one month and one week before work is to be done. These will be on paper for the foreseeable future.

We also have a photo album for each project and a folder for each task (a Task is doing a Project (in this case setting up merchandise at a specific Store). Currently this photo folder is used for uploading photos of the merchandise when the Task is complete.

I am considering having them scan in the questionnaires and upload them to photo album as a way to keep a paperless paper trail.

I found that photo album had a lot of useful code and great functionality but that it is very much a stand alone application. I ended up copying and doing minor modifications on a fair bit of code so that I could integrate the functionality we wanted into a different workflow and different look and feel.

The other application which I haven't started yet is for the community site I'm building. This is a community around a proposed development and I'm planning on basing it on a weblog.  I want to be able to have people take pictures of say flooding., or the current state of construction or whatever the event of the day is and link it to an entry in the weblog.

I think it would be useful to modularize much of photo album so that it can be a service provided to other packages.  The current photo album presents itself as a personal item, but in fact it has quite a bit of excellent functionality which is vital to dotWRK for many industries and dotLRN for arts education. Let's see what Jeff says, but I would be willing to help with this if he agrees it's a good idea.