Forum OpenACS Development: AOLServer 4.5.0 doesn't work on FreeBSD

Hi everybody. I was trying to follow cognovis tutorial to install aolserver (http://www.cognovis.de/developer/en/aolserver_install) on freebsd and i realized it just doesn't work. The nssha1 and nscache modules just don't work. They compile ok, but when you run the service, they can't be loaded. So, does anybody know how to do make it work?
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
What error do you get when AOLserver attempts to load the modules?
Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
This is the error message:

Warning: modload: could not find Ns_ModuleInit in /usr/local/aolserver/bin/nssha1.so
Fatal: modload: failed to load module /usr/local/aolserver/bin/nssha1.so

The same message appears for the nscache, but nslog works just fine.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
You should probably post to the AOLserver list. You might be making a simple error, or not, but if this is a real problem, only the AOLserver list can resolve it.

My guess is that you are making a simple error due to the change in the compile process. This isn't really documented completely, but for some reason most developers figure out the problem.

Also, although it sounds like you installed AOLserver, did you actually get it installed and working?

I'm asking questions here, but you should post (or cross post) to the AOLserver list to get the best response. The developers that can help you here most likely monitor that list also.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Actually, after looking at the link for the install script, you should probably talk to the cognovis developers. They are patching AOLserver 4.5, and they make the following statement:

This script assumes a DEBIAN / UBUNTU environment. It has been tested though under Redhat and fedora as well as OS X.
Collapse
Posted by Martin Matuska on
AOLServer 4.5.0 and a set of modules are available in the FreeBSD ports tree (and as binary packages for i386 and amd64 architectures).

More information on AOLServer ports:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=aolserver&stype=all

There are OpenACS and dotLRN ports available, too. There will be more dependencies added to these ports in the future.

More information on OpenACS ports:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=openacs&stype=all

Location of OpenACS ports:
www/openacs (vesion 5.3.0)
www/openacs-dotlrn (version 2.2.1)

The OpenACS ports have the following dependencies (these are installed automatically with the OpenACS ports):
lang/tcl84-thread
www/tdom
www/aolserver
www/aolserver-nscache
security/aolserver-nsopenssl
databases/aolserver-nspostgres
security/aolserver-nssha1

There is ongoing work on the ports.
These dependencies will be added in the near future but can be installed at this time manually:
www/aolserver-xotcl
www/tclwebtest
devel/tcllib

I will publish new installation instructions in the OpenACS online documentation soon.

Collapse
That's funny, I couldn't find these ports before. If they exist, I'll try again.
Collapse
I don't think it has anything to do to the patches, because AOLServer compiles and works with no problem. The thing is in the compiled modules for the OpenACS (nssha1 e nscache), wich AOLServer just can't load.
Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
One thing I found out recently, is 4.5.0 modules seem to consist of both a nsfoo.so file and a libnsfoo*.so file which both must be installed in appropriate places.

I first noticed this when helping with someone's *BSD compile of aolserver, and then when I built aolserver myself on a debian linux, it also had the libfoo*.so files.

Collapse
When I compiled all the files were in the right places, but I just couldn't load the modules. I also checked the files formation and they were ok. Anyways, I better try the ports and post in the AOLServer list.
Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
Eduardo,

When you start talking about compiled software, you need to be very careful. From your previous post, you are using a patched version of AOLserver. You are using this on a platform which isn't supported, at least from the link that you provided.

Also, the extra lib*.so and lib*.a files might be useful for some other purpose, but most likely not running AOLserver (maybe nstclsh ?).

Very tiny issues can make things not work, but you are talking about really huge things: changing source code and platform, and nobody is admitting success under the conditions you are reporting.

First I would try to compile the regular AOLserver 4.5.0 with the modules you want and see if it works, prior to patching. If it doesn't work, please report it to the AOLserver list. They are the ones responsible for AOLserver, unpatched. And they will be in a better position to help you.

If you use a patched AOLserver, you really should consult with the developer of the patch.