Forum OpenACS Development: Implementing the "Trackback" spec within general comments.

I have a test implementation of trackback support (specification: http://www.movabletype.org/docs/mttrackback.html ) within the general comments package. It accepts an HTTP post from another web site on a commentable acs_object. I have set it up so that  it only allows the comment to be posted is "The Public" has general_comments_create privilege over the object.

So, is this something that should go into the general comments package? I will need to add a package parameter to general-comments to turn it on and off, and possibly a way to turn it on or off for other packages using general comments.

Does this seem like a good way to implement this feature, or should it be a seperate package?

I am also planning on adding support to send trackback pings. Originally I was going to build it into lars-blogger, but I think I will add that support as a seperate package, so maybe both incoming and outgoing support should be in one package.

I forgot, the trackback spec says that there should be a URL to request the list of trackbacks that have been sent. Using general comments there currently isn't any way to distinguish between a regular comment and one sent via trackback. So I could add a column to general-comments, or possibly create a different message type for acs-messaging.