Forum OpenACS Q&A: blogger-api support for lars-blogger et. al.?

hello,

i'm currently looking into xmlrpc-enabled blogging apis such as blogger-api or, more modern, metaweblog-api [1] and would very much like to incorporate that functionality into openacs in general and lars-blogger in particular.

being very new to oacs development i would hereby like to request comments and 'pointers in the right direction' from the oacs community.

how would one go about such an undertaking?

- create a metaweblog-package? (i understand, that oacs-core already incorporates the xmlrpc api)

- how would i incorporate the functionality into lars-blogger without breaking lars's work and without keeping the benefits of my work to myself?

i read in carl garlands 'march madness' thread[2], that he already has incorporated the blogger-api into  www.23pools.com. perhaps there's something to learn?

any input would be appreciated, thanks!

[1] http://www.xmlrpc.com/metaWeblogApi
[2] https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=87220

Collapse
Posted by Simon Carstensen on
Awesome, Tom!

how would i incorporate the functionality into lars-blogger without breaking lars's work and without keeping the benefits of my work to myself?

It should be pretty easy. Since you add an entry by calling the proc lars_blog_entry_add, all you need to do is make ns_xmlrpc work (the code is a bit old and last time I used it I found a few bugs, as far as I remember), register lars_blog_entry_add (i.e. xmlrpc_register_proc lars_blog_entry_add) and everything should be up and running. Now you just need to make it work out the box!

I guess you'll have to build an xmlrpc-support package if you don't want to keep the benefits of your work to yourself. It should be a formality, though, since you have the code living in ns_xml-rpc already.

/Simon

Collapse
Posted by Simon Carstensen on
The problem I had with ns_xmlrpc was actually a bug in the validator and not in the actual ns_xmlrpc functionality. I think it was validator1.simpleStructReturnTest, but my memory might be corrupted :)
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Last time I checked (July 2002), the consensus seemed to be that ns_xmlrpc was substandard and the best way to use forward for using xml-rpc from an AOLserver/OpenACS environment was to use TclSOAP. An indeed, the latest version of TclSOAP, 1.6.6, was just released Jan. 25, so presumably it has advanced much more since then...

Note that the Tcl package difficulties discussed in the old thread above are supposed to be gone in AOLserver 4.0.